Skip to content
Diabetes type 2
south70 posted:
I finally got an appt with an endo, however, I can't see him till May 1st and my dr that I go to is just a gen dr. He walked out on me after telling eme I had diabetes and just to take the meds.. Really? I had to go over his head to even get the appt that was neccessary. My insurance company called me and asked if I was diagnosed why did I not have some tests done. I said they would have to call him and ask the dr why. They got me the appts and test that I needed.. I didn't even know that I was supposed to be checking my blood, nor what my numbers should be. Anyways, I am having a problem and don't know where to turn.. I have been on the meds for a bit over a month now and my numbers were down in the low 100s, now for the past few days they are as high as 250 and only as low as 135 .. my mornings are normally 115 or lower.. I am not eating any differently and my dr is no help. I was told it could be 2 days before he could get back to me. Can anyone give me some advice.. thank you!

mhall6252 responded:
Hi south70,

Sorry you have to join our little club, but we're here to help you. Here is a link to a post we just put together to help newly-diagnosed folks like yourself:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/diabetes-exchange/forum/8457

Hopefully you will find this helpful.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

phototaker responded:
After reading everything, come back if you have any questions.
Know that each one of us is different and what works for one person, doesn't work for someone else. I found that out later on.
I kept wondering why some people could eat things I couldn't.

One thing I would do now is exercise, maybe walking 30 min. a day if you can. That will help.

One other thing that helped me was testing a couple hours after I ate to see if what I was eating wasn't sending my blood sugar up high. I find I can't eat certain fruit. I got a craving for pineapple a few months ago, and had a few slices a day. That sent my sugar soaring. I love fruit, but I have to have certain things like melons, a "few" strawberries, a small apple with nuts, etc.

Stay on here and just read for a while. Hopefully that will help a little. Mostly, read Dr. Dansinger's articles. Go to Michelle's suggestion of a website...and read, read, read....

adaptomom responded:
Glad you have an appt. with an endo...my first reaction reading this was to advise you to cut ties with your current dr! An endocrinologist can put you on the right track.

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.