New to type 2
Headline posted:
Hello all - I'm new on this board and also new to diabetes. Just received the diagnosis of type 2 yesterday.

I know what I have to do - fortunately, a lot of it involves "keep doing what I've been doing." Eating lean proteins and low-fat dairy and fresh fruit/veg and whole grains and fiber, exercising more... I've been doing that already pre-diagnosis and have dropped 30 pounds in the last 6 months.

Next steps dietarily: find more good fish recipes (OH DARN... I love fish!), start a stash of hot-car-proof middle of the day snacks to get me through the work day, and kick the sugary drinks and find some way to power through the caffeine withdrawal because I Don't Do Coffee.

Other next steps... I'm not sure what to expect. Because I'm new to all this, I find the idea of injections or a pump very frightening... if I'm diligent with my diet and exercise, is there a chance that I'll never need to go on insulin? Is insulin usually the first/early course of action, or are there other meds they're likely to give me first, or could I possibly start out purely with lifestyle changes?

barb10562 responded:
Welcomsite. You will find lots of new friends and tons of usefull info. I you are carefull of the foods you eat andn eat at regular times, you may control your diabetes by diet alone as I did years ago. I wasnt too good at controlling my choices and had to go on 2 types of medicine.which I have been on for 14 years. Its not likely that you will have to go on insulin so dont be afraid. As long as you do what your doctor tells you to do you will be fine. And come here as oten as you like to talk to us and ask questions. Again, welcome!!

mhall6252 responded:
Headline - welcome to the site! It sounds like you are already heading down the right path to better health.

Depending on how diligent you are, you may be able to manage with diet and exercise for a very, very long time. I am on metformin, but I've been diabetic for 11 years. I'm still a long ways away from needing insulin, so yes, you may never need it.

For some great advice, check out Dr. Dansinger's posts (look on the right side of this page for his links). He is a firm believer in diabetes reversal - it's very possible. Lifestyle changes can definitely help you win the battle!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.