Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain Free Glucose Check
dicox04 posted:
My young daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes & her little fingers are getting sore for the glucose checking that we have to do 4-7 times a day. Does anyone know if there is another method to check so we can give her fingers a break? Thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

laura2gemini2 responded:
Some tips I got when I was first diagnosed:

Warm hands bleed better. My fingers were so cold when I first tried and they wouldnt bleed at all. I started running my hands under warm water to get the blood up to the tips.

Check the lancet depth setting. The nurse always used the middle setting no matter who it was, but I only needed the first or 2nd to get enough blood for the strip.

Alternative testing areas may help. Some lancing devices have a tip that you can use for checking on your arm (or using a lip balm cap to surround the site right after you stick it can help blood well up more). I started using the fleshy part of my palm to test. It doesnt hurt at all.

anon123567 responded:
what lancing device do you use? I am using the delica http://www.onetouch.ca/delica and the needle on the lancet is so teeny tiny I barely feel it.

Its also important to use a new lancet every time as the dull point from using it will hurt (not to mention the sanitary issue, but I admit I use my lancet way more than once)

How long ago was she diagnosed? your fingers tend to toughen up and it does hurt less.

DavidHueben replied to anon123567's response:
I was diagnosed in June of 2005 with mild T2.

I use an AccuChek Active meter and their standard lancing device. I have never found it to be painful. Yeah, maybe once in every 20 tests, I might get a little zing.

But, if that is the worst "pain" you feel in a day, consider yourself lucky.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
Definitely look at alternative testing sites. It's difficult for a child to get used to this. Also, be sure you are not using her fingertips. Test on the sides - it generally hurts a little less.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

dustnbones99 responded:
Most meters now have a lancing device that allows for forearm or other site testing which is less painful. When i test a lot i do find that my fingers get very sore too. One good meter to try is the Freestlyle. It only needs a tiny sample of blood . The One Touch Ultra is good too and comes in pretty colors. I think Target and Walmart also have meters that let you test on the arm or other site.

dicox04 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Thank you

dicox04 replied to anon123567's response:
She was diagnosed 12/28/11. I think you're right about switching the lancet more frequently. I tend to forget. Thanks for the help.

dicox04 replied to DavidHueben's response:
It's probably just because she's so little & her fingers are sensitive. Thanks for the reply

dicox04 replied to mhall6252's response:
O.K. Thanks I have been testing on her finger tips. I'll try on the sides instead & see if that helps.

dicox04 replied to dustnbones99's response:
Thank you

nwsmom replied to dicox04's response:
Be careful about alternative site testing: the usual instructions say not to use "alternate sites" if the bG is likely to be changing rapidly (as may well be the case with a very young Type 1).

I'm glad someone mentioned testing on the sides of the finger tips: an awful lot of people don't know that.

Nancy

auriga1 responded:
I had the same problem with testing and pain. I need to test frequently as I use insulin four times daily, too.

As others mentioned, make sure her fingers are warm first, if you can. Washing under warm water is best. You won't need the alcohol wipes. Also, she can bend from the waist forward for a few seconds and shake the arms. This gets the blood flowing towards the end of her fingers.

The side of the finger is always best for testing. Rotate all fingers and use both sides. This will give her a break.

You can use the forearm, but if she needs instant testing for a low, the fingertip is to be used. That is the most accurate reading, according to the manufacturers of the meters.

If she will let you, test twice in one sitting; the side of the finger and her forearm. See if there is much of a difference in the numbers. That way, if you feel confident they are close enough, you can use her forearm more frequently to give her fingers a much needed break.

Wishing you well.

dicox04 replied to nwsmom's response:
Thanks for the reply. We are trying the sides of her finger tips now.

dicox04 replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you! I will try the bending down thing & washing her hands. We do use the alcohol wipes & that makes sense that it probably helps dry out the skin etc. I don't think she's ready for the forearm yet but I'll keep it in mind.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.