Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Ultra-long basal insulin in final trials
laura2gemini2 posted:
For those who have problems with nocturnal hypoglycemia with Lantus, there is a new medication that may be coming out soon. It's chemical name is degludec. The half life is >25 hours, which is double the amount for lantus. In the latest trial of both type 1 diabetics and type 2 insulin dependant diabetics, the instance of night time low sugars was significantly less with the new med vs. lantus.

I remember before I started my pump I used to have issues with lows while sleeping because of lantus. This is an exciting new development.

There is a summary of the journal article here: http://general-medicine.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2012/501/1

auriga1 responded:
I sounds exciting. I know of people who have nocturnal lows. Very scary if you ask me.

I don't have that problem. My doctor directed me to take my Lantus in the a.m. rather than at bedtime. I really don't know if it makes a difference for most people, but I do not go low at night.

My problem is going low during the day. LOL. Seriously, it makes me laugh. If I do more physical activity than normal, my BS goes low. Hate feeding the insulin. My doctor lowered the dosage, but lately, I have been walking more than usual. Went low. I used to think it was the Humalog, but that doesn't stay in the body long. It covers the carbs I eat, so my BS doesn't climb after a meal.

Glad the pump has worked out for you. I'm still debating whether to go this route. I used to think I was pretty flexible, but change bothers me lately, especially with dealing with something like insulin usage.

laura2gemini2 replied to auriga1's response:
I love my pump. I dont know what I would do if I had to go back to shots. I have a problem with needing much less insulin during the night then I do during the day, and I have my pump set to give less between midnight and 7am. I dont know how I would do that if I were on shots. I also can turn off my insulin while exercising, and I can put in a temp basal rate for an hour or 2 before I know I'm going to do heavy exercise to help prevent the lows. But, YMMV.

I do know of a few people that have problems with lows in the middle of the night, and it causes nightmares and profuse sweating. I cant wait to see what will happen when this comes out. Wonder what brand name they'll give it.

auriga1 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
What insulin is in your pump? I know nothing, so pardon the questions. Just trying to assimilate here. Are you a type 1 or 2? I know you said somewhere, but I've forgotten. I'm one of those wierd type 2's. Really, I don't know if it really is. I had problems with higher than normal BS's in my late 30's. Didn't pay attention, so that is why I am where I am at today. My doctor believes my beta cells died. Lovely.

Take Lantus just to keep a normal BS during the day. My fastings before Lantus were between 250 and 300. AND I was thin, underweight for my height. Forget it when I eat any kind of carb. Instanly through the stratosphere. That's why I also have the Humalog.

Pain in the you know what. Four injections daily if I don't eat any carbs between meals. Or if my schedule of eating changes, like a funeral yesterday. Throws things off. There are times when I go longer between meals and that's not good. My BS drops. It dropped yesterday, so I had to suck on a glucose tab. Take insulin to lower my BS, take carbs in when it goes low. Never ending circle.

Should be interesting, Laura.

laura2gemini2 replied to auriga1's response:
I have humalog in my pump, and I have a coworker that uses novolog in his. You can use apidra in pumps as well, so I guess it would depend on which one you like more (or insurance).

I'm officially a type 1, but I think I'm more of a 1.5 LADA. I was diagnosed at 16 as a type 1. I went to a dr who was absolutely sure I didnt need insulin and had me on 3 different kinds of oral meds plus a small dose of NPH at bed for 2 years, and I ended up hospitalized with DKA twice. The dr I now have said that the oral meds probably hastened the beta cell failure that would have eventually happened anyway.

(And, not to get into a rant, why do people in the hospitals assume that when you have DKA it's because you werent following dr orders and being lazy? Seriously, I had so many doctors give me the "you better straighten up and fly right or you'll die" talk, and they didnt believe me when I told them I was doing what my doc told me to do. My doc even told me to use the vial of insulin till the bottle was empty and wouldnt give me refills, and the hospitalist accused me of lying till I showed him the script. Grrr!)

I was having problems with extreme lows when exercising, even if it was light. I went mall walking with a friend and after about 15 minutes she told me I was acting funny and my sugar was 52. When I ride my bike I have a mix of regular powerade and water to get a small amount of sugar.

auriga1 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Well, obviously with DKA, your numbers must have been very high.

I had heard about the one insulin in the pump. Boggles my mind. If you don't use the pump, you need two insulins (well, in my case anyway.)

Very interesting.

Hear you about the healthcare "professionals." Assumptions get you nowhere. How idiotic is that??? Same thing happened to me in the ER for a high BS. Finally, the very last question they asked, "Did your insulin expire?" I had to check. Yes, by one day.

Hear you about the lows. That's why I keep asking about the pump. One morning I "hit" 26. I thought I was seeing things. I took it again and it was 27. I guess my meter was right. Didn't feel too well with that one. Instantly drank OJ. Just 4 oz. raised it to 90 something.

Have many folks tell me they believe I have 1.5, too. My doctor refuses to discuss it. Requires more testing. It really doesn't matter. I need insulin anyway. When I reach Medicare age, it might make a difference. Long way off. LOL.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.