Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Athlete with high blood sugar?
SwimBikeRun1 posted:
Hi! I am a 23 year old triathlete who is not overweight and eats very healthy (except for some chocolate a few times a week). Two months ago I was constantly dizzy and light headed so I went to the Dr who did blood work and told me that the only things that seemed out of the ordinary were high white blood cell count (she put me on antibiotics) and high blood sugar (103). She told me I was prediabetic, but I didn't think much about it because I knew that 103 was not particularly high. This week I got a UTI and went to an urgent care clinic and the Dr became concerned because there was sugar in my urine. They tested my blood sugar at that point and it was 94. Today they had me come in to check my fasting blood sugar (it was 95). Then I ate my normal breakfast (oatmeal, PB, banana, OJ, milk, tea w/ honey) and then they checked my blood sugar again. After 30 minutes it was 99, after 1 hour it was 80, and after 2 hours it was 111. The Dr. was happy that all of my blood sugar levels were within normal range, but he didn't have an explanation as to why my sugar dipped below my fasting level after an hour and then maximized after 2 hours. The only thing he suggested was some sort of autoimmune response. He also thought that 95 was a bit high of a fasting blood sugar for someone who is so young and a competitive athlete. I am curious to hear if others think that these test results indicate that I am prediabetic or if someone knows about other causes for fluctuations in blood sugar like these.

mhall6252 responded:
Wow - sorry no one has chimed in.

My opinion - you're fine. With your numbers and your level of activity, I would keep doing exactly what you're doing. That said, if your activity level goes down, you'll need to be cautious to prevent weight gain and subsequent increases in blood sugar. And you should be diligent about having annual lab work so you are aware of your levels.

Maintain a diet that eliminates most highly processed foods, the white stuff, and stick to whole grains, fruits and veggies, lean proteins and good fats. That should keep you on the right track for life.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Phototaker123 responded:
Since we're not doctors, it's kind of hard to give advice. Have you had an A1C taken? That gives 3 months of blood sugar numbers and it's averaged, with the emphasis more on the last month.

I think each person is individual. Most people have their bs numbers go down after they exercise. For me, if I exercise heavily(for "my" body), like do zumba or Ujam for an hour, my numbers go "up", and stay up there for a longer time than most. I wonder if it is the Cortisol that happens in our bodies when we do more strenuous exercise. My bs will go higher, if I "don't" eat, too, so it might be your liver? telling your body it needs more food, and then your numbers go up when it sends a message to your body. I don't know the right words to tell you, but some of us get this, too.

Your normal breakfast would have sent my blood sugars up high. In the beginning, I used to be able to take 1/4 of a small glass of lower sugar OJ, but not anymore. I haven't had that in over a year. I also can't eat bananas. I tried some pineapple, and that makes my numbers soar also. Again, each of our bodies is different. You have to see how yours does. It might be a good idea to get yourself a testing kit, and try to test yourself a few hours after eating a meal to see what's going on...just on your own. I'd write those down for a week, during the times you're exercising, too. Then check to see if there's a pattern. Do you have anyone in your family that has diabetes?

Keep checking in to let us know how you're doing.

DavidHueben responded:
You are fine. Your BG fluctuates continually throughout the day. You may be close to be being prediabetic. Just watch it closely with your doctor.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.