Skip to content
Still trying to figure out good carbs vs. bad carbs
musicianINtraining posted:

I agree with many of the previous posts about the blood sugar spiking with cheerios/oatmeal/pizza. I had cheerios for breakfast and 3 hours later had blood sugar readings over 200.

When I met with a dietician - believe it or not - she treated most of them the same - indicating that as long as you stayed within the alloted carb load you should be all right - and it's not. Or maybe I misunderstood. I do remember her saying to test after eating things and to see how your body reacts to different combinations.

I've started eating more carbs - mostly staying within the allotments (45 carbs or less for each meal) and I consistently get higher numbers if I eat cheerios/oatmea/pizza and do find that potatoes don't seem to spike the levels as much. I've found that the whole wheat "FlatOut" bread seems to be an acceptable carb and stevia and fruit also don't seem to spike the blood glucose as badly.

Exercise has really helped lower some of the numbers - I didn't know about the water and plan to start drinking more and leaving the flavored waters alone - something about people that drink diet drinks tend to gain weight because their body reacts to the fake sugars in a similar fashion to the real sugar - even though there aren't any calories.

I also learned the problem with eating something fried or with a lot of fat is that it slows down the digestive system.

Sorry my explanations are not more scientific but I tried to put into my own words as much as possible. Thanks everyone for the good information.

flutetooter responded:
Click on "Which foods should be avoided" under "Helpful Resources" about halfway down on the right hand column of information available. Also look at the weight of your dietician to see if you think she knows what she is talking about. Her information seems very lenient.

Trial and error is necessary in the finer points of diabetic management, but starting with reading information on the basic such as which foods to avoid will hasten your success. Dr. Dansinger (top or column at right) has a good blog on carbohydrate intensive foods. Those = less amounts of foods contain more grams of carbs. Stay away from those.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo responded:
My dr made it really easy for me. He told me stay away from white. White potatoes, white rice, white pasta, white bread, anything that was in that direction, including sugar. I have adhered to that, and over the past few years limited any of the starches, but eliminated all white starches and sweeteners. It was a simple way to start, and with tweeking I remain off of any drugs for the T2.

brunosbud replied to betatoo's response:
betatoo,

I posted this sample of a local high school menu the other day...

Cold Meals
Cheese & Tomato/Wheat Bread 3.00
Turkey Ham & Cheese __________ 3.00
Peanut Butter& Jelly 3.00
Submarine/ Italiano Roll 3.00
Tuna Salad___ ______3.00
Turkey ____________ 3.00
Veggie Sandwich 3.00

Hot Meals
Breakfast Burrito (Egg/Cheese) 1.25
Sausage w/Biscuit 1.25
Sausage w/ Egg/cheese & biscuit 1.50
Noodle Soup _______________________ 1.50
Burrito 3.00
Taco Stick 3.00
Nacho w/4oz. Cheese 3.00
Nachos w/Chili & Cheese 3.00
French Bread Pizza 3.00
Egg Roll 3.00
BBQ Pork Rib/4'Roll 3.00
Chicken Patty/Bun 3.00
Spicy Chicken 3.00
Fishburger w/cheese 3.00
Cheeseburger 3.00
Hot Dog, Jumbo 3.00
Meatball Sandwich 3.00
PizzaSlice 3.00
Chicken Rice Bowl 22oz 3.00
Orange Chicken_____________________ 3.00

ALL COMBO MEALS INCLUDE:
Milk
One Sandwich or entr?e
Plus choice of two: fruit, vegetable or juice.

Entrees
Soup, 10oz Bowl/Cracker _______ 1.75
Chili, 12oz. Bowl/Cracker 1.75
Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl________ 3.00

Bread, etc.
Bagel, 3oz Plain/Combo .50/1.25
Bagel 4oz. w/ Cream Cheese 1.50
Bread Sticks (2) w/sauce ____________ 1.50
Dinner Roll & Butter .75
Muffin Small/Combo .75/1.25
Crackers, soda 4pk _ .25
Bulk Cereal w/ milk _ 1.50
Mini Donuts, 6pk/combo 1.00/1.50
Buttermilk Bar, wheat/combo 1.00/1.50
Pop Tarts/combo 1.00/1.50
Cinnamon Roll/Twist combo _ 1.50

Drinks
Coffee, 12oz. 1.00
Hot Chocolate 1.00/1.25
Supreme Hot Chocolate 1.25
Hot Tea, Regular/Herbal .75
Juice, 100%, 4oz .30
Juice, 100%, ? pt .50
Juice, 12oz. Cup 1.00
Juice, 12oz 1.00
Milk, ? pint .50
Milk, 12 oz 1.00
Water, bottled 1.00/1.25
Drinks, 12oz. Can/Bottle (20oz) __ _.75/1.25
Drinks, 16oz.- 32oz. Cup Fountain) 1.00/1.25
Slush—100% juice
4oz./10oz./16oz./32oz .60/1.00/1.50/3.00
G 2, 20oz 1.50
Gatorade 1.00

I asked, "Does anyone have a problem with this?"

So far, no one does...

This is why the CDC is predicting 40-50% T2 by 2050. Nobody sees the problem...

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
Yeah, didn't see it before. My problem is that there aren't any vegetables at all on it other than the veggie sandwich. All of the drinks are high sugar, even if you go healthy-juice.

At the HS I taught at we had removed the soda, removed the straight juices, and include a salad bar that would put many restaurants to shame. The also had veggies on the platters and vegetarian meals. Cheese is something that is subsidized by government, so often you will find cheese in almost anything and many pasta/cheese dishes, after all they have to keep their costs down. I don't blame the schools completely, the system from the top down. I wonder how many pharmy lobbies are tied into all of this?

auriga1 responded:
I don't know where your dietician went to school, but all carbs are not the same. See if you can access any site that has the glycemic index. This list shows a variety of foods and where they fall on that index. The higher the sugar (carbs) the higher on the index it will appear. Anything that is high glycemic will raise your sugar dramatically.

You're right about exercise. It lowers my BS dramatically. If you add more fiber to your diet and/or eat more foods containing a lot of fiber, it slows the absorption of sugars in your bloodstream. Carbs are converted into glucose. That's why I said "sugars."

No need for scientific explanations. We are folks here with diabetes from all walks of life.

BTW, water is excellent for everyone. I drink it all day long.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.