Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Natural peanut butter
Debsbears posted:
Is it really all that good for us? Just wondering I have had an allergy to peanuts for so long that I have avoided it instead of taking allergy pills. I have done well - so my Doc said to eat it little here and there to see what happens - so far no problems.

My friend went to the store the other day to buy me some Skippy Natural because we heard that is better than just peanut butter. Anyway, I looked at all the Total Fat content and I almost dropped the jar.

Though it doesn't have Trans fat nor the partially hydrogenated vegetable oils as the regular brand is peanut butter really good for us?
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

flutetooter responded:
Natural peanut butter contain about the same proportions as natural nuts. Try looking up peanuts, walnuts, almonds and see how much protein, carbohydrates, and fats are in the same ounces of each. I eat nuts (and Smucker's Natural PB) mostly for healthy fats in the small amounts needed. 2 Tablespoons of Smucker's contains 16 grams fat, 6 carbs and 7 protein. I eat only 1 tsp at a time. It slows down the entry of other carbs for that snack, but remember the carbs DO enter, only at a later time which may mess up your time sensitive meds or gastroparesis.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

flutetooter responded:
Deb, the thing about fats is that we have to eat SOMETHING if we can't eat many carbs. The percentages of protein, carbs, and fats in our total amount of calories per day MUST change if we are cutting down on carbs, especially if we are some of the few who no longer need to lose weight, or have trouble keeping our weight up.

Fats from nuts, olive oil, and avocados are good fats and all fats, even the bad ones such as trans fats, corn oil, and saturated fats from meats do not affect the blood sugar. Even proteins will raise the blood sugar a bit.

My diet is 40% of calories from carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. That does not mean that 1/3 of your plate should be fats! Fats have 9 calories per gram, while carbohydrates and proteins have 4 calories per gram. When we eat non starchy veggies and greens, they ae not very carb dense (see Dr. Dansinger's blog on this) and they look like a whole lot more on our plates.

DavidHueben responded:
Deb:

From what I could read (which isn't a lot!!!),there is almost no difference nutritionally between regular Skippy and natural Skippy. Except of course the label!!!

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

dianer01 replied to DavidHueben's response:
Hi, I agree with David, nutritionally the peanut butters are about the same but the natural is a little less processed it seems.

I prefer the taste of the natural over the regular.
accelerate out of the corners

Debsbears responded:
Thank you for the replies - is it okay to eat it everyday?

flutetooter responded:
Deb, if you had an allergy to peanuts in the past, I would limit them to a couple days a week. Avocados have good fats in them. One ounce has 5 grams of fat. Also using an olive oil salad dressing will increase your good fat intake. Walnuts and almonds are good for you too.

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Thank you Flute - I will get some Avocados this week when I go shopping.

As for treenuts - Walnuts and Almonds oh no! that allergy is worse than the peanut one. With peanuts I just itched all the time - but treenuts I have already been sent to the hospital with hives on top of hives and my throat swelled up. That is why I have to read a labels and be careful of everything I eat.

I started having kidney stones again from the soynut butter I was eating so had to stop that is why I wanted to try the peanut butter again.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
I vary my snacks with nuts(walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews), olives(green, stuffed, Italian mixes), When just hungry for a little salt I eat pickle spears. I fix guacamole to dip veggies, making it spicy with lime and peppers. These all help to stave off the hungers and the weight losses.

laura2gemini2 replied to Debsbears's response:
You could also try a natural food store and see if they make peanut butter there. There is a Whole Foods by my house that I get my peanut butter from. No salt, no added oil. They just take the peanuts, put it in a grinder, then sell the peanut butter. You have to stir it (or stir it then keep it in the fridge).

Debsbears replied to laura2gemini2's response:
laura that is how the soy nutbutter was - soynuts, stir and keep in fridge. I will have to see if I can find a health store around so I can get a ride. Thanks for the info.

flutetooter responded:
The main difference for me between "natural" and regular peanut butter is the added sugar in regular. Look at the label for number of carbs. I limit my intact of soy producets because it is an estrogen mimic, which may affect the rate of growth of some cancers.

DavidHueben replied to flutetooter's response:
The original post was about Skippy products. There is no difference in the sugar content between Skippy creamy and Skippy natural.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.