Skip to content
Promise butter spread
Debsbears posted:
My dietitian recommended Promise butter spread over many of the other spreads out there. I have been eating it since 2007 because it is label as "heart healthy".

But today I was reading more labels than I care too and found out that this heart healthy product in the ingredients it states it has vegetable mono and diglycerides. (whatever that is). So is this product really as good as they say?

I know my Choles is only 147, trigs 70, LDL 77 and HDL 56 I would like to keep that way - so I don't want to put into me what isn't good.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

davedsel57 responded:
Hi, Deb.

I had done research about 10 years ago on the virtues of margarine vs butter. From what I remember, margarine is one molecule away chemically from plastic, or something like that. We use real butter in our family, just in moderation. That is what is working for us.

I am now on Crestor for my cholesterol and my numbers are looking good. My high cholesterol is mostly due to the fact I am obese, according to my doctor. Once that condition is resolved my numbers should be normal without medications but with diet and exercise.

The butter works for us, but may not work for everyone.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave but I honestly have to say I do not like the taste of real butter - it has a greasy taste it for me.

mhall6252 responded:
I use real butter, too. I have never cared for the taste of margarine, and so it's the real thing or nothing. I like dipping crusty bread in olive oil infused with herbs, but nothing beats popcorn with real butter. It is my major "indulgence."
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

nwsmom replied to mhall6252's response:
I have to agree with Dave and Michelle: real butter or nothing. (Well, olive oil for dipping, if it's one of the rare times that I eat yummy bread). To me, margarine is nothing more than grease with salt.

Nancy

Debsbears replied to nwsmom's response:
Thanks everyone I guess I will have to try it one more time.

davedsel57 replied to davedsel57's response:
I did a few internet searches and found this very interesting article on the truth or fiction about butter and margarine:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/butter-margarine.htm

I learned a few things, especially that my first finding that margarine is one molecule away from plastic is fiction. At this point, we will still use butter in our household in moderation.

Hope you are all having a blessed and salubrious Sunday.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.