Skip to content
debsbears & laura2: OT Diaramas (photo)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
We went to Michael Arts & Crafts store to find materials for my 7 year olds "squirrel monkey" diarama and look what they have (photo below) Diarama KITS! My husband said - NO, we are going "old school" So...do you think that is "cheating" to use a kit?

Haylen

Debsbears responded:
Yes and No

Actually you and your daughter are still making it - you had the idea and you were able to get a little help.

You'll have to show us the finish diorama when it is done. Good job on finding what you were looking for. I can't wait to see it. Have fun, When is it due? Deb.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Phototaker123 responded:
No, it's not cheating. It depends on what the "teacher" is expecting. You can talk to her about this, if you haven't used this yet. Again, for me, if a child did this almost by themself, I judged it by that. Each child got judged differently. I can tell when the mom or dad did the diorama. I talked to the child about what part they played in doing this. If you have a child that gets very overwhelmed by these kinds of activities, of course help them out. You do one part, they do another...or you show them how to do it. If you do this, the squirrel monkey can be made out of clay, playdough, etc. I've had kids get grass from outside, which does dry up. They have painted the inside of their shoeboxes. You should see the neat things children can do. If your child is in first grade, this will be much harder. By 2nd or 3rd grade, they're able to handle scissors, crayons, glue, etc. much better. You can even get stickers for stars, etc.(if they are doing hanging planets. If the squirrel monkey climbs trees, it can hang from the tree by the tail?? I don't know what one looks like.

Debsbears replied to Debsbears's response:
Let me rephrase my saying - not sure if it is cheating or not - I guess it depends on what the teacher said to do.

Back in the day when my daughter and I did ours - it was to be from scratch - we could draw it out on paper first to get the idea for it then we had to use whatever items we to find around the house.

We use paint, toothpicks, a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting from our porch for the grass, aluminum foil for the stairs and slide, swing set was made with drinking straws and wire etc....

Haylen it is a great kit I am sure you and your daughter will do well.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo replied to Phototaker123's response:
I guess I look at a lot of this from a different angle as I was an art teacher. A lot of what I saw in the elementary schools was an attempt to get the children to do some creative thinking within the confines of a specific topic. Much of this would be involved with the choice of materials, textures, lettering styles and layout skills. Where the kit fits into that I really don't know. At the same time though most parents take the children out to purchase materials from the local art supply store and often these are prepared, papers, text, and such. However, the choices of style, color, texture are still there.

Then we go into the realm of skill development, using a ruler, marking a straight line, cutting paper in curves and lines, using templates to mark and color in lettering just to name a few. Yes, I realize that in the day of computers and printers that the text can be prepared without freehand or templates, but choices are important.

IN the end, was it about content, or all of the rest. If only about content, it was missing out much.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to betatoo's response:
Well, we did NOT get the kit and had fun buying fake plants and plastic monkeys - she's looking forward to working with her dad on the project tonight - it's due Friday.

BONUS - one of the first animals in space was a squirrel monkey so husband is going to add a spaceship in the corner - I'll post pix!

Great to hear feedback from parents and teachers!

H

Phototaker123 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Glad to hear the creative juices are flowing! What a great idea!
It's good to know you're husband is helping her with this project.
What she'll get out of this is invaluable. It's not just about how hard the project might have been, but how much fun and closeness she might get with her dad working together on this project. So many kids are now in front of t.v., computers, cellphones, texting, etc. What happened to game time with family, doing fun things together? I'm happy to hear this, Haylen!
Great job!

Beta, I wasn't saying to go out and buy this diorama, but sometimes, it's overwhelming to people who have so much going on in their lives, and don't have that art knowledge that you and I might have to think of how to do this project. Some things are very hard for me to visualize, even with an art background. That's why I tried to help the children with ideas, especially since she's probably in 2nd grade, possibly. They need a little more direction...not everyone of course, but most do.

laura2gemini2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Having a kit would make it quick and easy, but it wouldnt be as much fun or creative. I loved buying art supplies to do my own thing and using odds and ends to create something myself. Pipe cleaners were the best art supply ever!

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.