Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update on Mayo - OT
Debsbears posted:
Interesting update:

My date is scheduled for Thursday, June 28th - length of stay anywhere between 4 to 7 days not including weekends or holidays. With the possibility of being admitted. That would be okay for me it would save me on food cost, room costs etc....

I called the transportation to set this up they said no problem.

I booked a discounted room at the Inn for 10 days to be on the safe side.

Then my friend who does my local rides for me informed me her and her DH will be driving me up there leaving me then come back and get me. No problem I pay for their 1 night stay so they could go back the next day right? Wrong.

Marilyn just called me to informed me she is paying for her and Tom's stay for 2 nights and I owe nothing for them. Since she is my emergency contact person and she goes to all my medical appts. she will also stay with me the first day to see if we learn nothing new.

Once she has info as to what they will be doing with me then she and Tom will go home and come back to get me. I was shocked she would do that - I didn't even ask her - she said she just couldn't see me go by myself and wanted to be there for me. Now that is a true friend.

The ride alone is about 5 hrs one way. I am awed by her generosity and friendship. And all I do is give her and Tom free hair cuts, hair colors and perms. Which to me is nothing compared to what they are doing for me. Deb
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

davedsel57 responded:
Wow, Deb! That news is not only very interesting, it is excellent! You are so blessed to have to have Marilyn and Tom in your life.

This is all working out great. Wonderful!
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
True friends, Deb. They don't expect or want anything in return. Truly giving. You are blessed.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Those must be some amazing hair cuts you are doing!!!!

Deb, I am just thrilled to hear this - what an amazing friendship and great support as you continue your quest for diagnosis and treatment!

Only a little more than a month to go before your trip - are you marking the days off on a big calendar?!?!

Haylen

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen amongst the many jobs I used to do I am a licensed hair stylist. I have been doing their hair for 2 yrs now because she drives me everywhere.

She said her cuts used to cost her 25.00, perms 85.00 and colors 22.00. So she said she is blessed that we can barder. I told her that the rides mean more to me than she knows and if doing her hair is a blessing then I will keep doing it.

Phototaker123 replied to Debsbears's response:
Well Deb....it's a win-win situation for all concerned! What great friends you are to "each other"!!!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
That's great! I found a friend to do my hair as well - I pay her but go to her house and it's much less...my grandma - who grew up on a small farm in Oklahoma - would pass out if she saw some of the invoices for my hair in the past!

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I get rather upset when I see the prices in salon's for the few minutes it takes to cut someones hair.

When I worked at a shop before working out of my home we had to charge 50.00 a cut, 125.00 a perm and 60. for a color to me that was high way robbery. The products themselves only cost a couple of dollars when you buy in quantity.

I am glad you can get yours done for less.

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb - the prices you quote are about what I was charged in the Kansas City area. Actually, my cut was $60. By the time I had a cut and color, and included a tip, I was paying about $175!!! Just crazy! In the last two weeks, I've paid $25 for a haircut and $45 for color, much more reasonable here in New Hampshire. It's a "spa" type of salon so there may be lower prices somewhere, but my stylist cut my pre-chemo hair and my daughter's long hair (for donation) for free, so I will be her customer forever. And I tip her generously!

Marilyn and Tom are true friends and I am glad to hear that someone will be at Mayo with you. It will help to have another voice and another set of ears to help you get through your evaluation.

Hugs, Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle I do not go to salon's for cuts or perms so at the present I had no clue what others charge, only what my few friends (clients) are telling me. Yes I do my own hair cuts and perms been doing it since I was 15. It is a little struggle now since I can't turn my neck but I have found ways to do it and I still get comments: your hair looks great - where did you go, how much did you spend, who did it? It is hard to convince them I did it I've even had to show someone the cuttings in my garbage.

My clientele presently only deals with a few elderly females and Tom. I can not do more than that - 3 of the women have no husbands and they are in their 80's and 90's.

My one friend who is like my grandmother has me shampoo and set her weekly and she insists I have to be paid. Even though I tell her the 20 mins it takes is not worth paying, she says if you don't take my money I'll go somewhere else and we laugh. She can't go anywhere - I visit her daily. But she says her weekly do's used to cost her 25.00.

I am not wealthy and with the little I spend on products - one can give a donation if you have to but I will not set a price - I think that is why I am being blessed.

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb - you reap what you sow :>)
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.