Skip to content
Micromanaging My Exercise Carbs
flutetooter posted:
I have always had a problem eating the right number of carbs before-during-after intense exercise so that I don't enter an exercise period with a full stomach, or go low during or immediately after an hour long exercise period. Evidently my liver doen't churn out the glucose exactly when I need it. lol. That's part of the nature of this disease -- a body that doesn't do what normal bodies do.

After a couple months of testing, eating different foods, and tracking how I feel, this is what I've come up with for now. Eat normally before, avoiding any carbs that are going to spike and then drop the blood sugar. DUH! Have the last snack size meal about 1/2 hour before the session begins. Eat 1/3 of a "Cliff Builder's Protein Bar" (total bar = 270 calories, 20 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, 7 grams fat) immediately before beginning the personal training or water hydro session. That's all I need for the water class, but for the land weights and core strength class I need to eat another part of the bar every 15 minutes.

I've tried this for the past month, and I have approximately the same meter reading before and immediately after the session -- about 115. Hooray.No more quitting in the middle of a session because I am light headed and can't perform the moves. I have a small snack after leaving the locker room on the way home. Like one hard boiled egg, 1/2 apple or some berries. Resume normal eating for the rest of the day.

This may sound obsessive, but I was missing exercise sessions due to being light headed and out of eneregy, or too high and dizzy to continue. Neither was good. This way I get the maximum exercise and really enjoy it. For any self directed exercise like walking, I can just put the food in my pocket.

Please notice the topic said "MICROmanaging", so I am not recommending this except to obsessive posters like me.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
LOL, Flute. Obsessive??? NOT. I still haven't got the right of it. I should try the trial and error like you.

My problem is a little different because of insulin. It's the basal insulin that has me coming and going. Either it's too much for exercise or too little for FBS's. My doctor told me to the lower the dose by four units, but my FBS's were in the 100's. I was used to them being in the 70's or 80's. All the literature I have and from what I read on other forums, 70-100 is good. I don't like being in the 100's. My current A1C is 6.0.

I posed this question on another forum. Is it better to have a higher FBS and have the lows throughout the day go away? Or is better to have a lower FBS and risk going low through any kind of physical activity? I feel I am obsessed with the lower FBS's in the a.m.

My A1C's have remained steady throughout the years. They have come down dramatically. I had a 5.8, but, AND that's a big but, I experienced too many lows for my well-being and frame of mind. It's a horrible feeling. That's how the 5.8 came about. When I told my doc that one day I woke with a 26 (took it twice) he gasped. He told me to lower the insulin. That's when my FBS creeped up. For most people it's not a big deal. Or is it? I don't know. Now I know MICROmanaging. LOL.

Glad things have worked out for the better for you.

laura2gemini2 replied to auriga1's response:
I have a hard time with exercise as well, and often have to turn my pump off while I'm working out, and also I lower the basal 2 hours before I know I'm starting.

I started drinking non-diet powerade watered down during the work out if I know it's gonna be a doozy. That way I get a slow stream of sugar and I wont go too low.

auriga1 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Thanks, Laura. Still considering the pump. I have to take four injections daily. The basal and mealtime insulin. If I snack, it's more injections. Still using the 1:10 ratio. Used to be 1 unit for every 7 carbs. Talk about finding it hard to eat enough food without eating too many carbs. I eat too many veggies, and I can't leave the house. LOL.

Spring and then summer coming. Melons galore. I love melons. Any kind of melons. It's like some people with potato chips. Can you eat just one? I can't stop at one cube of melon. But I have to. Thank goodness, I have a family, so none of it goes to waste.

Crazy, crazy diabetes.

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.