Skip to content
Mother's Day 2012
davedsel57 posted:
To those who are mothers:

I am very thankful to have a wonderful mother-in-law.

I am also very thankful that my wonderful wife Fayrda is a great mother to our two sons, Russell and Geordan.

I posted a tribute to my mother in another message board and want to share it here:

My mother passed away on September 22, 2000 from heart failure at age 82. She was12 years older than my dad.

My mother was a 4' 11" strong woman. Her parents and 3 of her 5 sisters immigrated from Poland in the early 1910's, several years prior to her birth in Buffalo, NY. My grandparents never learned English and I vividly remember the family having conversations that I never understood.

As with many people, the fondest memories I have of my mother are in the kitchen. She was an excellent cook and baker, and delighted in having lots of family over and feeding them. Christmas cookies were the highlight of the year for her. She started making doughs in September and produced more cookies than any bakery I know. The cookies were given as gifts each year and tasted better than those from any gourmet shop. My mother made at least 20 or 30 varieties - cut-outs (dark ginger and regular sugar), bars, drop cookies, thumb-prints, etc. At Christmas time each year I get a strong craving for cut-out cookies. I've searched and just can't find the taste I grew up with. What I have now realized is that I am craving my mother's cut-out cookies.

Every Saturday night we would have steak, salad with thousand island dressing, french fries (crinkle cut, of course) and butterflake biscuits. My mother would use her two large cast-iron frying pans to render the steak fat and fry the steaks while a third was in use to deep-fry the french fries.

My mother taught me many things. She taught me to use both hands when doing tasks because that's why God gave me two hands. She taught me to never give up. She taught me to persevere through any trial. My mother had severe arthritis throughout her body and especially her spine. She baked all those cookies and cooked those fabulous meals despite high levels of chronic pain. Finally in her 70's she gave up baking and gave me all of her cookie cutters. Those are a treasure stored in our cabinet now, and each one has a special memory.

My mother never graduated from high school, but did go to cooking school for a few years. Even without a diploma I considered my mother to be a genius. She had more common sense and clarity of mind than many folks with doctorate degrees.

I do my best in life to emulate many of the qualities my mother had. Unfortunately, I inherited the high levels of chronic pain due to arthritis and serious spine problems, but I try to rise above circumstances and survive just as my mother did.

My mother shared all of her values with me, taught me to cook and taught me to be use common sense. Most of all, my mother taught me to become the adult that I am and I will always be thankful for that.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears responded:
Thanks Dave for sharing your story it brought tears to my eyes due to the blessings you rec'd from your mom.

I never knew my mom, I was removed from my home at 15, and she passed away when I was 28 she was 50 (massive heart attack). I now have another mother who is very dear to my heart. My children have children so that makes me a mom and grandmother. Blessings to you and all the mother's and grandmother's out there.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Phototaker123 responded:
What wonderful memories you have of your mom, Dave! She sounds like a pretty strong, special woman.

I want to wish all a Happy Mother's Day!

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.