Skip to content
HBO documentary tonight: The Weight of the Nation
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD has a few blog posts associated with The Weight of the Nation series which starts tonight:

• 40 Years Old and 400 Pounds Gigi's story (Gigi is in the documentary): At age 40, Gigi weighed 400 pounds and decided to take action at home and work. She and her daughter have since lost 100 pounds.
  • How did the nation get so fat? - Interview with the Center for Disease Control's Tom Frieden

I'm going to tune in - sounds fascinating - anyone else?

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
If you don't have HBO, all 4 parts of The Weight of the Nation will be available free on the HBO Documentary Films YouTube channel...

betatoo responded:
I won't be tuniing in, but may watch some of it on utube. We as a nation are too obsessed with our "comfort foods" high carbohydrate starches and fatty proteins with low nutritional values. Time we got out of our starchy mind sets.

brunosbud replied to betatoo's response:
Foods labeled "NonFat", "Light", "Sugar Free" and "Fat Free" are brilliant in "misdirection advertising". Food manufacturers propagate fear of "fat" and "calories" when its sugar, starch and artificial sweeteners that should really be avoided...

For newly diagnosed diabetics, reversing diabetes is about as plausible as swimming the English Channel. They haven't a clue what to eat...

nwsmom replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbud, we are still waiting for your CV...are you diabetic, a caregiver, or an interested bystander? How's your A1c, and how often do you test? Do you eat low carb, or follow closer to the ADA recommendations? When were you diagnosed with diabetes...and what type?

Let's have some info: the rest of us include personal bits and pieces, at least, in our posts!

Nancy

brunosbud replied to nwsmom's response:
"...are you diabetic (Yes), a caregiver (Yes), or an interested bystander (Yes)? How's your A1c (last test: 5.3), and how often do you test (once/2 weeks)? Do you eat low carb (I eat healthy carbs; I don't count), or follow closer to the ADA recommendations? (not familiar with ADA recs). When were you diagnosed with diabetes (Self diagnosed, I started testing myself, periodically, long before any doctor)...and what type (2)?

Good health & good luck, Nancy!

PS: I'm neither "qualified" nor am I so certain that I know what I'm taking about. Hence, my CV is irrelevant.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.