Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
For those interested (OT)
Debsbears posted:
I have shared many times about my Cervical Fusion and all the hardware in there - recently someone questioned me saying that is impossible to have that all done - it was not you guys - so I thought I'd share with you what I look like from the inside. It is not gross just a lot of titanium.

If you enlarge your screen the picture gets bigger and you can see it better. The back screws and rods were the C3-T1 fusion - the front plate and screws were from the discectomy on my C5-C6 and C6-C7 with cadaver bones.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

nwsmom responded:
Very interesting, Deb. (I wouldn't question your CF, etc, as one of my daughters had a smashed pelvis due to an auto accident, and had plates and screws...the plates were later removed, after healing had occurred. Now she has a titanium hip joint, as do I.)

Nancy

auriga1 responded:
Ah, people. It certainly can be done and many more people have had it done than most of us think.

My DIL has a rod and other hardware in her spine because of severe scoliosis in childhood. That makes a pretty picture, too.

I've got titanium in my fibula along with a nine pins. Spiral fracture from a fall. Broke both ankle bones along with that one.

My daugher had ACL repair using her own tissue. We were given the choice of using her own tissue or cadaver tissue. Using her own tissue would leave one more scar than the cadaver tissue. Who cares???

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thank you so much for sharing! It's fascinating how medical technology can repair our bodies.

How long ago did you have this done - do you have pain in those areas?

Haylen

mhall6252 responded:
You're the real, live, bionic woman :>)

It's amazing the technology that is available to rebuild us!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen the discectomy was Fed. 2009, The 7 vertebrae was first done one June 6th, 2011 - thanks to a pt person my 2nd surgery to remove and replace 5 screws and both rods was in Sept. The last surgery was Jan 2012, one more to go in Sept. I am rejecting the hardware so if my fusion took I will be having the hardware removed and spacers put in.

Pain level in front is 0, at the C7 to T3 is painful - I will be going in on Wed. the 23rd for a series of cortisone shots to calm things down.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
auriga I know there are many people out there with metal/titanium in their bodies. And I feel for them - what I was trying to say was people questioned the fact that I had 7 cervical vertebrae worked on at one time - they say it is un heard of. So I backed it up. No one on this board questioned me it was other boards/forums.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
Fingers and toes crossed that the cortisone helps - You could probably get a medical degree with all of the knowledge you have Deb!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.