Skip to content
Resistant Starch in Uncooked Oatmeal
DavidCMurray posted:
I've read that resistant starch helps to manage blood glucose spikes. One way to obtain it is to cook regular oatmeal and then cool it in the refrigerator to permit the resistant starch to form.

My question is, does resistant starch exists in uncooked oatmeal? If I eat oatmeal without cooking it first, is the resistant starch present?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I entered your question into my Yahoo search bar and came up with this interesting discussion: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19001&start=0

Hope this helps.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

RSQueen responded:
Uncooked oats actually contain a lot of resistant starch - 17.6 grams in 1 cup. The starch resists digestion because it is protected by the physical barrier in the intact oat. When you cook it, that barrier is broken down and the resistant starch is almost completely lost. One cup of cooked oats contains 0.5 grams of resistant starch. (Murphy M et al, "Resistant Starch intakes in the United States" Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2008. Issue 108, pages 67-78.)

DavidCMurray replied to RSQueen's response:
Thank you very much, Dave and RS. This is exactly the information I've been looking for.

As a Type II diabetic, I have to look for any means to control my blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure. Oatmeal helps in all three venues.

I've lately read that a component of orange juice, when combined with oatmeal, suppresses the chemical breakdown of LDL and it's those broken-down components of LDL that actually form arterial plaques.

With that in mind, I've revised my daily breakfast menu. I now eat about 3/4 cup of uncooked whole oatmeal with 1/3 cup of mixed almonds and walnuts, a heaping tablespoon of raisins, and a tablespoon of cinnamon. I mix the dry ingredients, cover them with orange juice, and then add fresh fruit on top. All that goes into the refrigerator for an hour or so, but you can prepare it the night before.

I'm not losing any weight on this regimen, but my blood sugar and cholesterol are in great shape and I'm getting my daily ration of much of the stuff that's good for you.

flutetooter replied to DavidCMurray's response:
DavidCMurray, are you a diabetic or just interested in general in resistant starches? If a diabetic, are you on meds? I am on no meds and if I ate that much orange juice and raisens and oatmeal, my blood sugar would be very high. Even if a food such as cold potatoes, corn, or black beans contains resistant starch, the amount of non-resistant starch in that portion is much higher than the resistant.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Flute, DavidCMurray does mention he is a type II diabetic. I myself could not eat uncooked oatmeal soaked in orange juice.

He doesn't mention how OJ but does say a heaping tablespoon of raisins. He also adds fresh fruit on top. That combination would send my sugar soaring. He must be in great control.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

DavidCMurray replied to Debsbears's response:
Flute and Debs,

Yes, I am a Type II diabetic diagnosed in May of 2005 after a total thyroidectomy. It runs in my family.

I'm fairly active and do watch the glycemic index of what I eat. I also take Janumet 50/1,000 twice a day on the prescription of my endocrinologist. If you're not familiar, it's a combination of Januvia and metformin. The Januvia interrupts the digestion of carbohydrates but, as I get it from the endo, it's only active in the presence of carbs in the digestive tract.

On this regimen, my HbA1c are consistently in the 5.4 - 5.6 range, so I feel like I'm on a safe track.

Debsbears replied to DavidCMurray's response:
David M thank you for the clarification. I am not familiar with how the Januvia and Metformin works as I was only on the Metformin - currently in remission of T2 and no longer on Metformin.

I am not sure I understand what you said about this:"The Januvia interrupts the digestion of carbohydrates but, as I get it from the endo, it's only active in the presence of carbs in the digestive tract."

Great job on keeping your A1c down. I guess one could eat your oatmeal mix if they were taking the amount of Janumet/Metformin you do. One other question are Januvia and Janumet the same product?

I can not have the OJ and raisins even in a small amount.

DavidCMurray replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb,

Janumet is a single tablet that contains both Januvia and metformin. Each tablet contains 50mg of Januvia (half the daily dose) and either 500mg or 1,000mg of metformin. The combination (Janumet) costs almost the same as the Januvia alone, so the metformin, cheap enough by itself, is virtually free.

Understand, please, that I live in Costa Rica where the national health service provides only metformin for Type II diabetes management as well as injectable insulin. I buy the Janumet over the counter at a commercial pharmacy. We don't need a prescription for it, and many other meds, here.

In everyone's digestive tract, there are a number of "chemicals" (I'm being intentionally vague here) which interact with each other and which send chemical signals to other organs to participate in the digestive process.

As I get it from my endocrinologist, when carbohydrates get to where they are digested in the GI tract, a "chemical' is released to enable the digestion. That chemical triggers the release of a second chemical which, in turn, signals the liver to do whatever it needs to do to proceed with the digestion and, ultimately, the circulation of glucose in the bloodstream.

Januvia acts to interrupt this series of chemical secretions such that the carbohydrate is either not digested or else the liver doesn't do its part to process and circulate the resulting glucose.

The bottom line is that Januvia interrupts the digestion of carbohydrates, but it's only active in the presence of carbohydrates, and it only acts in the digestive tract. So there is no additional chemical burden placed on the liver.

All that said, let me tell you that there's a pretty good write-up about januvia on Wikepedia and it's probably clearer, too.

Debsbears replied to DavidCMurray's response:
Thank you for helping me to understand this better. Keep up the good fight.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.