Skip to content
Insight
ZoeTre2012 posted:
I was just diagnosed with Diabetes. However, the doctor mentioned that with weight loss and proper diet it could resolve itsel. I was not prescribed medication or anything. Just curious what exactly does that mean. Not that I want to get on any meds. Just wanted a little advice. Any Suggestions

auriga1 responded:
Welcome, ZoeTre. Well...

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Did you get any information from your doctor?

If you have weight to lose, this helps immensely. Proper diet would be to watch the carbohydrates you ingest on a daily basis. COUNT them. They are a diabetic's nemesis. Not just sugar or sweets. Surf the web and see what you can find.

Your post is a bit vague. Did your doctor take your A1C? That is an average of blood sugars over the past three months. The higher your A1C, the more damage is being done to your body. Your internal organs, eyes, circulation, nervous system, etc. Everything in your body is affected by uncontrolled diabetes.

Weight loss, exercise and proper diet are the key in managing your diabetes. Exercise will help with weight loss along with helping your body utilize any extra glucose running around in your blood stream.

We are all different in how we manage our diabetes. No two people are alike.

Invest in a carb counter such as "The Calorie King." Paperback and online counter. Look at nutrition labels on all packaged food. Boxes, cans, etc. The important line to look at is TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line.

My dietician recommended for me 35-45 grams of carbs per meal. Many can eat more than that. My diabetes was out of control and any carb I eat sends my blood sugar soaring. Stay away from simple carbs such as your "white" foods. Breads, potatoes, pasta, rice are bad for us. Add more fiber to your diet. Stick to lean proteins, lots and lots of veggies, some fruits. There is a glycemic index which you can look at. The higher on this list, the more carbs and sugars these foods contain. Stick to those foods lower on that index.

Do as your doctors suggests. Lose weight and figure out a proper diet. You can consult with a dietician if need be.

Many diabetics manage with diet alone. AND exercise. That is very important. Most times diet alone will not suffice.

Good luck to you and again, welcome, Zoe

brunosbud responded:
Here's a list of criteria that should be considered when formulating a new patient's treatment plan once a diagnosis of diabetes has been made...

• weight, blood pressure and cholesterol
  • age and level of overall fitness
  • diet healthy or unhealthy?
  • is regular daily exercise performed?
  • family history? ethnicity? Comordities?
  • personality & stress management skills?
  • education and support level at home

ZoeTre2012 replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga

Thank you for the information. Defenitely is much needed. I have been working on weight loss got a lil side tracked but Im back on the band wagon. I definately want to get my weight and blood sugar under control. Im not sure what my A1C is. The doctor who tested my A1C never confirmed that information. In fact since you brought that to my attention I will definately be contacting her today. I actually had my son in 2011 and that was my alarm then, of course I did not pay it any attention ( my son was 10lbs and my sugar levels were extremely high but not high enough to be considered gestational diabetes). But again I do appreciate the iInformation!! : )

Thanks

Let The Life I live Speak for Me!!!!
Love and Peace

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.