Skip to content
Just for Fun Tues: What would you "ban"?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend! I need an extra day, quite frankly

Check out this news story: Town silences its ice cream trucks with ban on mobile 'noise'

I feel for those vendors - how on earth would anyone know the truck is there if you are inside? Leaf blowers are way more irritating in my opinion.

What would YOU like to ban? I would like to ban property taxes, tantrums and my neighbors yappy dog that barks day and night!

Haylen

dustnbones99 responded:
I'd love to ban property taxes too. When it comes to noise i'd have to say church bells. The church across the street from me got new bells a few years ago. Every 15 minutes i have to listen to "bong, bong, bong" and it drives me nuts. It's not a pleasant sound to me at all. The bells were installed when my mother was dying and it seemed that she would finally fall asleep and they would wake her. That might be why i hate them so much. When i'm feeling anxious, which is most of the time, they can really get on my nerves. I've tried to distract myself with music, tv ect but nothing drowns them out.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to dustnbones99's response:
Dusty, you reminded me of the tornado siren's that used to go off three times a week at noon as a test. Never failed to make me jump!

Maybe you can sneak into the bell tower and tie a towel around the clapper

Haylen

Debsbears responded:
Hi everyone - how many are we allowed to list?

Only kidding - we were just talking about the ice-cream wagon Thursday - my friend had not heard it in awhile - then like clock work there was the ringing of the wagon - we both just laughed.

I would like to banned 3 things - 1) yearly rent increases - we have new owners of our bldg. as of May 23rd and my rent goes 30.00 a month.

2) the black birds outside my window in our court yard - 3:30am without fail they are up and awake making all kinds of noise - I get woke up by them, so I close the windows and patio doors and then try to fall asleep again. Everyday same thing over and over again, come birds shut up already.

3) Neighborhood construction and/or street workers - do they have to start at 7AM?
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

adaptomom responded:
I'm right there with you on the property taxes! And while I love bthe sound of birds, the tree outside my bedroom window is full of them..starting at 4:30 in the morning. Not a good match for this night person!
I'd love to ban use of text spelling outside of text messages. It's fine if you're only allowed a certain number of characters in a text, but in an e-mail or worse, a written assignment from a student I really don't want to see " if u no the answer..." But then, I'm a stickler for grammar, just ask my own kids! Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

davedsel57 responded:
I'd love to ban the guy that drives his moped through our neighborhood. Never at bad hours, but it is very loud and annoying. I've often wished I had a paint gun ready to aim and fire each time he went by.

Taxes in general are awful things. Property tax, sales tax and income tax are all evils in life, IMHO.

Hope you are all having a great day.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

davedsel57 replied to adaptomom's response:
adaptomom, I could not agree more with your feelings about the use of text language outside of texting. I try to not even use it in the rare event I do send or reply to a text. Personally, I detest texting and think it is the most ineffective form of communication every developed.

Sorry, I got carried away about terrible texting.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 replied to adaptomom's response:
LOL, adaptomom. So totally agree. Kids forget themselves. Texting belongs in one place only.

I had a teacher who was the biggest stickler for grammar. I guess I learned from her because I despise bad grammar.

Also, punctuation and spelling. I've had arguments with bosses about that. LOL. Oops, now I'm texting in a post. Apologies. His biggest gripe was the use of commas. We would argue about commas, semicolons and conjunctions. I told him when I took a word processing class in college they also taught some semblance of grammar and punctuation in business correspondence. I acutally bought a book to work to show him why I did things the way I did and not the way he wanted. My way was correct in the business world.

Things do change in the modern world. Certain things have been dropped. You can do it either way, but changes were made to "expedite" the way of the world.

Was a great weekend. The heat could have disappeared, though. 97? in Chicagoland in May is not a good thing. The hottest Memorial Day in our history.

We have a huge maple in front of our house. Birdies have made multiple nests. At least the windows were closed because of the a/c. No chirping birdies to wake us up at dawn this weekend. Some sleep was had.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
Oh it was fun reading this thread! My best friend's 12 year old daughter recently got a mobile phone and texted her mom using the word "imma" (as in "I'm going to") Her mom said the next time she sees a text with bad grammar and fake words, she loses the phone! Her daughter looked to me for support and I backed her mom 100%

Mocking birds and crows - so loud, so early...

hootyowl2 responded:
I love the jingles on the ice cream trucks and have not heard them in years. People's loud stereos going BOOM BOOM BOOM, etc. I hate the obnoxious music. Supposedly we have a city ordinance against them, but I have never seen it enforced.

I would love to ban property taxes and income taxes too. They were not even Constitutional until around 1912 when greedy politicians changed the Constitution... I think politicians should NOT be allowed to vote their own pay raises, or perks.. or laws that do not apply to them.

Hooty

betatoo responded:
I would limit the noise levels on Motorcycles! I live in a neighborhood on a busy city street where the bikes will accelerate and decelerate at stoplights making major noise. In this neighborhood with a lot of dogs, there is always the bike noise and the barking! Makes you happy to have the rain storms we have been having lately, no bikes, and the dogs stay inside. Maybe I'm just an old grouch!

nwsmom replied to betatoo's response:
Ban leaf blowers! They disturb the pleasure of a lovely summer day when the windows are open to let in the breezes.

Phototaker123 responded:
I definitely agree with banning leaf blowers. All it does is bring the leaves all over other places, especially when the wind is blowing afterward. It's deafening!

I would ban people opening their street side car doors wide open and not be looking at traffic. Even bike riders could be knocked off their bikes! I saw one mom recently, with her bottom out to the road, not watching for cars, and buckling in her young one. This happens a lot in our neighborhood, and I have to drive extra slowly there. It also happens on fast city streets, too.

The birds that chirp "loudly" early in the morning is something else I'd ban, and the garbage collection trucks that come really early, too...beep beeping, brakes squishing, etc.

I would ban people who think their music is the best, and open all their car windows pumping this music so "all" can hear how great their taste in music is....not! Luckily that doesn't happen in my town too much, but we do hear motorcycles once in while. My friend had a neighbor, Beta, that would go up and down his long drive-way on this loud moped, but he wasn't old enough to go in the street. She heard this noise all day long. One day, she didn't hear it anymore. It seems the poor young man had been killed on his moped. Talk about her guilt after this incident...as she'd been praying he'd stop.

I would ban pain and disease that are not curable.
I guess that's enough for now.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.