Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
High Blood Sugar Versus "Low" HA1C
Howls_with_Wolves posted:
I was diagnosed with diabetes about two years ago. For the past year and a half, my HA1C has ranged between 6.1 and 6.5 (most recent was 6.1). My doctor feels that, so long as I stay at those levels, I don't need to go on medicine. However, my daily blood sugar tests seem high...my fasting blood sugar has been between 180 and 210 for some time (including the four months previous to my latest HA1C test). So long as my HA1C levels are decent, should I worry about high daily blood sugars?

Phototaker123 responded:
I hate seeing your bs numbers rising that high. It's a hard decision. I decided to start taking medicine when mine hit 6.5.
I was on no medicine for 4 years and averaging 5.8-6.1. All of a sudden it was higher. My numbers have not been great lately, and I'm taking the lowest dose of Metformin. I've gained almost 10 lbs., and I believe that this higher weight and my heart medicine is causing my numbers to go up. I'm not as really strict as I was for four years, either. I didn't go off a strict regime very much except on my cruises to Europe two summers in a row for 2 weeks at a time. I did a lot of walking, and had some small desserts on the boat. Right now, I'm exercising 6 days a week for an hour each day. It's not helping that much, either. I say keep stricter if you can, and try to do this without medicine. I need to go back to my strict regime again. It's so hard to get myself to do this...so hard, but I need to get off the 10 lbs. I still look solid and good, but I'm definitely up a size in pants. Don't rely on the medicine to bring your numbers down.Try to do it with eating really strictly if you can.

Howls_with_Wolves replied to Phototaker123's response:
Thanks Phototaker!

Phototaker123 replied to Howls_with_Wolves's response:
You're welcome! I hope people can learn from my mistakes.
I'm still able to turn this around. I've already started! What happens for me when I'm not strict is that it gets worse. Some people are able to have "one" piece of dark chocolate...but not me. Food talks to me! Not having it in the house is the way to go for me. Luckily I live alone!

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:

Dear howls,
I agree those fasting levels seem higher than exepected for your A1c. Opinions are mixed about starting metformin in such cases, but all agree that an ambitous eating and exercise strategy would be the best approach to try to bring those glucose levels closer to normal.

Any room for improvement on that front? Do you have any extra body fat to lose?

If so, what are you prepared to do?

Michael Dansinger, MD

Howls_with_Wolves replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. Dansinger! I lost about twenty pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes, but could definitely stand to lose some more. I agree that eating modifications and exercise are better than starting meds, and am trying to go that route. Thanks again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.