Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New to Diabetes and have no clue what to do!!!!!!!!
An_245663 posted:
Can Anyone give me some tips and resources to managing my TYpe 2 diabetes??? I am not overweight by any means but have diabetes???? So confused!!!!!!!!!!!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

Talk to your doctor about getting a referral (if required by your health insurance plan) or recommendation to a Certified Diabetic Educator, Nutritionist or Dietician. A change in lifestyle is required to manage Type 2 Diabetes. This means increased activity and a healthy balanced diet composed of lean protein, vegetables, dairy, some fruit and healthy grains.

While many overweight and obese people do become Diabetics, that is not a factor in all cases. Genetics and general lifestyle play a large roll.

The assigned health care professionals here do not reply to posts very often. Your discussions will mostly be with us lay people who have experience managing our health conditions.

Take the time to do your research and see the proper health care professionals that can help you manage your Type 2 Diabetes. You are worth that investment.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

betatoo responded:
A lot of us were in the same boat. Check out Dr. D's resources in the right column. Also realize that dieticians are coming up with a new term for us(not overweight T2'S) Skinny Fat, meaning that we may not be overweight, but have layers of fat between muscle from inactivity, poor eating habits or diet. We don't have to have T2 in the family, just not take good care of ourselves.

Try starting with the first step my Dr. told me: Drop all white foods with the exception of cauliflower. That almost automatically cuts out the starches that release glucose into the blood quickly. Second thing I discovered: cut way back on brown and orange starches and triple the veggies. Try it, it works!

Michael Dansinger, MD replied to betatoo's response:
Good advice to minimize refined starches and excess fat from meat and dairy.

I recommend reading my earliest blog posts from a few years including my 7-part series on how to eat for reversing type 2 diabetes.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome!

Here is a direct link to Dr. Dansinger's blog:

Conquering Diabetes

This is a great place to ask questions and get support - I'm glad you're here -

Haylen

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.