Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood Glucose in 3 year old
An_245744 posted:
Good Morning,

I have some concerns about my son's blood sugar. Here's a quick rundown of what prompted me to check his blood sugar (I have a meter as I am hypoglycemic).

* Extreme mood swings, very sudden and out of character for him
* Frequent Urination
* Frequent thirst (always needs a drink)
* Muscle cramps in his legs (that up until now I have assumed them to be growing pains)
* Frequent hunger

Family history: My grandmother had type 2 diabetes, and my son's aunt is type 1. I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia as well as my father.

Last week, after he had a very rough day at preschool, I decided to check his blood sugar after a fast of about 4 1/2 hours. His blood glucose was at 181. I checked it a few more times that evening and the numbers ranged from high 90's to about 115. I've decided to monitor his numbers through the weekend. The numbers again ranged between high 90's to about 140. I made him an appointment to see a pediatric endocrinologist today because it seems like something isn't right with him. I checked his blood sugar again this morning (about 1 hour after breakfast-AND also because he was RAGING, screaming, running around like a crazy kid) and his blood glucose was at 218.

I'm trying not to jump the gun, but I am a little nervous and not sure what to expect. Any thoughts? I am aware that it may or may not be diabetes or pre-diabetes, but the levels may also indicate a hormonal imbalance? However, he is not overweight and these symptoms seem rather sudden over a course of about 3 weeks.

Thanks for any advice!

Emiliedegeorge responded:
I might also add that they will be doing the A1C test today for him so that we can see what his levels have been the past 2-3 months

Phototaker123 responded:
There's no one here who could diagnose what is going on with your three year old, as we're not doctors, but I applaud you for your diligence and cautious concern for your child. You seem to have caught some significant symptoms. The best thing is to continue doing what you're doing, writing things down for his doctor, and presenting it to him/her when you see them. With all the history of diabetes in the family, it's possible he may be diabetic. The doctor needs to give him a battery of tests, to make sure it's not something else, too.

Good luck! Please check back with us and let us know. As you may know, a diabetic can be very skinny. It doesn't have to be an overweight child or adult.

Phototaker123 replied to Emiliedegeorge's response:
That's awesome!!! Smart doctor!

Emiliedegeorge replied to Phototaker123's response:
Thank you.

We saw the doc yesterday who gave us a new meter and is advising me to continue monitoring his blood sugar. His A1C was within normal range, however the doc said given his glucose numbers throughout the weekend, he is concerned that he may indeed have diabetes and we are catching it very early (thus, the a1c wouldn't show anything abnormal if this is just the start.) Urine specimen also showed no ketones or sugar, so the doc is first testing for diabetes insipidus...which from what I've researched is really not diabetes at all, but a kidney problem which makes the sodium cause the blood glucose to rise and/or a neurological issue (hormonal). If those tests come back normal, then we will test for type 1. So confusing, but I am glad that my concerns were validated and that there is indeed something "not right". Hopefully we will have more answers within the next few days and can start proper treatment

Anon_4858 replied to Emiliedegeorge's response:
Just as an FYI, Diabetes insipidus has nothing to do with blood sugar. It's a hormonal issue that has to do with vasopressin and the hypothalmus/pituitary causing the body to loose water rapidly, increasing thirst. This wouldnt cause his blood sugars to go up at all. It would explain the increased thirst and urination. The only reason they call it "diabetes" at all is because it has the same side effect as diabetes melitus, increased thirst.

Emiliedegeorge replied to Anon_4858's response:
There are actually four different types of diabetes insipidus, from what I've researched. Obviously he doesn't fall into the category of gestational diabetes insipidus. However, you are correct-DI does not cause the blood glucose to rise (that I have found in anything I have researched). Which still leaves the question as to why he's had those blood glucose readings. The doc seems to be stunned, as are we. But yes, the symptoms are nearly identical to that of diabetes mellitus.

Anon_74671 replied to Emiliedegeorge's response:
as a previous poster stated, diabetes insipidus has nothing to do with blood glucose. period
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ei=YVrOT7XJDeT-6gGTgKGnDA&ved=0CAcQvwUoAQ&q=diabetes insipidus&spell=1&biw=1024&bih=576

what we all have here is diabetes mellitus

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.