Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Natl Yo Yo Day! What was your fave toy? (photo)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Just for fun Friday! It's national yo you day - what are the memories you have of your favorite childhood toy?

My most prized toy was the "lemon twist" (photo below) - also called a skip ball. I spent hours on the patio jumping over that plastic lemon.

How about you?

Haylen

davedsel57 responded:
I remember that "lemon twist" type toy. I remember them with a bell on the end that made noise when you used it. Very appealing to kids, but annoying to parents.

I remember the Slinky, Silly Putty, Hot Wheels cars, Matchbox cars and Lincoln Logs that were actually wooden.

There is one toy I'm not sure many would remember. It was called "Knockers" or "Klackers". Two glass or heavy plastic balls on strings attached to a small ring-shaped handle. You held the handle in your one hand and got the balls moving so they knocked into each other in a circular pattern, both on top of the circle pattern and on the bottom. They made a clacking or knocking noise that again appealed to kids but annoyed parents.

I found a picture of Klackers:

Fun discussion. Brings back great memories.

Have a blessed and fantastic Friday, friends.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave, you are so right about toys that annoy parents! One of my daughters got a kazoo in a birthday party gift bag - who on earth wants a 3 year old to have a kazoo?

Love the pic of the klackers - I want to try them!

H

davedsel57 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I went back 100 years to my childhood (LOL) for my first reply but now I am remembering some of our sons' toys. One year we got them a police car that had buttons on the top. One button made the lights flash, and another made it sound like the radio saying "Trouble downtown. Car 8 on the way". Of course, there was a large '8' on the sides of the car. What I liked but my wife hated was when the boys made the radio say "Trouble...Trouble...Trouble...." over and over. I eventually got tired of that too and made them stop.

Another memorable toy that we got our sons when they were rally little was a 101 Dalmatians firetruck they could ride in. My wonderful wife and I stayed up all night Christmas eve putting the thing together and putting on all the Dalmatian spot stickers. Very tedious, but they loved that toy for many years.

Now my favorite toys are my TV remote and laptop PC.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Debsbears responded:
How about the rope? I had 14 brothers and sisters while growing up - we took the wash line down and did double dutch everyday in the summer.

We also had lots of hola hops around those kept the girls figures in shape - I wish I still could do the hola.

Those were the days.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Phototaker123 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, I agree with you on jump roping. We did that every recess at school. I also liked using my yo yo and hula hoop. I could do that 100 times as a child, but maybe "once" now. It hurts my back to do that movement. I was a real "games' player! I loved cards, Scrabble, Monopoly, and other ones, too. I still enjoy doing cards and other games with adult friends. One of the favorite toys I ever gave my children at school was these tiny dreidels or Santa Claus spinners. They loved these better than books, pencils, or candy I gave them. They spent all day spinning those spinners to see who could keep theirs going the longest. Oriental Trading Co. sells them. They make great gift items for parties and are really quiet.
As a child, I would entertain myself with little charms I got out of cereal boxes. I collected them in a glass jar, and actually would play with them. I was good at entertaining myself! Comic books were one of my biggest enjoyments. I had a great collection of Superman, Archie and other comics that would have been worth a lot of money today. Unfortunately our attic leaked, and they all got wet and had to be thrown away.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Phototaker123's response:
Jump rope brought back a vivid memory. We would put them around our friends waist then use the ends as reigns - played hours of "horse and rider" running around on the playground. (being the horse was the best)

Photo - my girls are very good at entertaining themselves too. They have many little toys (squinkies are popular now) and can play for hours talking to themselves. It's super cute. I wish I could do it!

Leak in the attic affected your retirement!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.