Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Your Questions About Affordable Care for Seniors
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Dear Community Members,

Dr. Louise Chang from our WebMD medical staff is going to be taking part in a panel discussion at the White House on Monday, June 11 — Online Seniors' Health Town Hall -- regarding affordable health care for seniors.

If you are a senior or a caregiver for someone who needs affordable care, we'd love to gather your questions and comments for Dr. Chang to present to the panel. Providing these questions give the folks who make the laws insight into how REAL people are affected by their decisions.

We appreciate your feedback and candor, and look forward to passing it along.

Take care,
Haylen & the WebMD Community Staff

davedsel57 responded:
Excellent topic.

My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in January 2011. I am the responsible party and have finally found him an excellent Assisted Living Facility after two previous facilities were just not right for him. He is still functioning very well but can no longer drive, live alone and needs the 24/7 nursing care provided by this facility. The place his lives in now is wonderful and he is very happy.

Assisted Living Facilities are private pay only. No health insurance plan covers the cost, which can be quite high. The monthly fees are all deductible as a medical expense at income tax time as long as the doctor has determined the patient needs this level of care.

Two questions I have:

1. Will Assisted Living Facilities (ALF) every be covered under any health insurance plans?

2. Will the fees for an ALF ever be considered a tax CREDIT rather than a tax deduction? I do my dad's income taxes but he does not have enough taxable income for the $58,000 he paid for the year that I claimed as a medical deduction to affect his return. If any or all of these ALF costs were able to be claimed as a tax credit it could help with expenses.

I look forward to seeing the results of this Town Hall.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

hootyowl2 responded:
Why is Social Security Disability less than 1/2 minimum wage ? If they quit giving OUR money to illegal immigrants and lining their own pockets, Social Security would not be bankrupt. I WORKED for mine.

Politicians do not need pay raises, they are already rich. Let them try living on minimum wage or less.

I saw a pertinent saying recently: "Politicians should serve two terms. One in office, and one in prison."

Hooty

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
Great questions and comments - thank you!

Haylen

DavidHueben replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
It is going to be close shave for me. I have insurance thru 2012. I don't if that will renewed for 2013.

Than, I have 10 months before I am eligible for Medicare.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.