Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insulin Pump Concerns
FCM1954 posted:
My Dr. has suggested an insulin pump but I am wary about them because of my job. I am very active in my job. I can be anywhere from a boiler room to an attic where I need to do a lot of crawling, climbing, stretching and pulling myself through roof access hatches in atmospheres from sub freezing to 100+ degrees.. I also move quite a bit while sleeping. Would a pump hinder my movements or be suceptable to being damaged or the needle being pulled out?

mrscora01 responded:
I wasn't heavy duty active with my pump, but I have heard of other pumpers on other sites who are very active with theirs (one worked on an oil rig). There isn't really a chance of the pump being pulled out as long as you are not naked with the tube hanging out. I hope you're not that kind of worker? lol You can easily fit the pump under your clothes - some pumpers make a small slit in the inside of the pocket so that the tube goes through there. You might have to change the reservoir a bit more often due to heat and you might have to take some extra precautions with taping the insertion set down due to sweating, but many folks work in the summer heat with a pump and have no problems. There are many ways around these issues. Talk to the pump rep and see what their clients do. I am sure you are not the only one with these concerns.

BTW, pumping is fantastic. It provides tremendous flexibility and better control if you work at it. I pumped for 5 years before my transplant so ask any questions you like.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

laura2gemini2 responded:
I am an active sleep roller, so I use a long tube with my pump. Sometimes I wake up and its wrapped around me a couple times, but it's never pulled the lead out. If I know I'm going to be sweating or moving a lot, I put something over the lead (like what hospitals put over IV lines. I think it's called tegaderm or something like that).

I *love* my pump. Once I found out all the ins and outs it has made my life sooo much easier.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.