Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Changing Meds
FCM1954 posted:
I recently had to change from Humalog 50-50 to Novalog 25-75. even after having to increase the dosage, the Novalog is not able to control my levels like the Humalog did. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just weird?

laura2gemini2 responded:
Well, it may be because the ratio of short to long acting insulin has changed. It used to be with the 50/50 you were getting half short acting and half medium acting insulin. With 25/75 you are getting 3 times the amount of medium acting than short acting.

Mixed insulins are becoming more of an "old fashioned" way of dosing. Have you though about using a long acting insulin that lasts all day (like lantus or levemir) and a short acting for meals (either humalog, novolog, or apidra)? You have a lot more flexibility with that kind of dosing. The downside is that it is more injections, but it may help you fine tune your sugars.

auriga1 responded:
Agree with Laura. BTW, you're not wierd. LOL.

You should talk with your doctor and tell him/her that this mix of insulin is not working well for you. Above all else, you want your numbers under control.

Only my opinion, too, that mixed insulins are a bit "old-fashioned." If it's not working, you do need to speak up.

I take two insulins also, but they are separate injections. I need the basal insulin (Lantus) just to get my numbers under control and keep steady. I take Humalog with meals so that my blood sugar doesn't climb when I eat any carbs. This therapy has been extremely successfuly for me.

Humalog has a faster start of action time than Novolog, about 10 minutes after injection. Novolog is about 1/2 hour. I don't know if that matters with you.

Insulin needs change constantly depending on how active you are, your body weight, stress, etc. I have found the more active I am, not just exercising, but active, the less Humalog I need.

Contact your doctor. Hopefully, they can help you out.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.