Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hypoglycemia?
ashehgoshers posted:
For several years now, I've been experiencing these symptoms, but now lately it seems as though they are getting worse:

when I don't eat for a while, I start to get hungry. hungry to the point in which I feel like I want to puke/vomit, because I am so nauseous. I feel like I'm starving. I feel really weak, and sometimes my hands start shaking. I feel like I get hot flashes and my heart beats a lot during this episode. once I eat, I feel okay. but it seems like a couple hours later, it starts all over again.. I get that hunger pang, and need to eat again. I'll get confused/feel weird, light headed. even after I just ate my bowl of cereal, I still feel hungry.. it's odd.

I also get horrible night sweats, bad dreams, I go through episodes of sleep paralysis, where I'm aware I'm asleep, I wake up, but can't move. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I'll wake myself up from crying in my sleep/during dreams. I also wake up in the middle of sleeping and feel confused, like I don't know where I am. often times, I'll wake up very hungry, even if it'd only been a few hours since I'd eaten dinner.

I also feel very anxious and eat when I'm nervous. I get these terrible obsessive thoughts about something ridiculous, and I just get very scared/nervous. Like I'll start thinking about dying and become frightened and can't sleep over it. Also, my memory seems to be getting worse. I can't think of words I'm about to say, I'll forget what I'm about to do/say.

I feel tired lately and sometimes get random sad mood swings and not want to do anything but sleep.

I'm on no meds, am not diabetic. I exercise daily, I eat healthy for the most part. Maybe 1 cup of coffee 4 or 5 days out of the week. no sodas, maybe a small sweet treat every other day. my dad has a history of hypoglycemia.

the weird thing is, I took a blood test a couple years ago, the doc said I was fine. but these symptoms are so close to it. I think I might've botched the test up because I ate a few hours the night before the blood test. also, I was not feeling sick that morning I woke up to take the test. do you have to be going through a hypoglycemic episode for the blood test to show the results?

any insight would be helpful, or experience. thank you! please help! I don't know what to do and am becoming miserable, especially with the trouble sleeping and hunger pangs! I feel like the sleep issues may be because of blood sugar levels dropping during sleeping.. I dunno.

btw, I'm 22 years old, as as far as I know, no underlying illnesses..

auriga1 responded:
The only way to know if you are going hypoglycemic is to test your blood sugar with a blood glucose meter. You can find them in any drugstore. The only problem with purchasing the meter is that you need test strips to go along with it. Those have a tendency to be expensive. Check out WalMart for their brand of meter. As I understand it, the strips are less costly than most.

Test when you wake up with these symptoms. Any blood sugar reading under 70 is considered to be hypoglycemic.

Sometimes there are promos going on for all sorts of meters in the newspapers and magazines. You can get one for free and they come with free test strips, usually 10 of them. If you have health insurance, most of the cost can be paid for the strips if you require more. If you want your insurance to pay for them, you will need a doctor's script.

You should call your doctor and tell him/her exactly what is going on.

We are not health professionals here so we can only help with our own experiences, etc.

ashehgoshers replied to auriga1's response:
do you know if I do have hypoglycemia, and the dr. orders a test.. will it only show that I do have it if I am having an episode during when they draw my blood? or is it something that they can look for at all times.

also, I forgot to ask.. if I did start doing this, and showed the dr. my readings from doing my own tests.. would he then be able to verify that I have it so that I could get insurance to help cover it? or does it have to be the test he gives me to prove that I have it?
if you can answer those questions.. lol. sorry. I just am at a loss.

auriga1 replied to ashehgoshers's response:
No, I do not know if you have hypoglycemia. At the time of the episode (your symptoms) is when you test. It's a finger prick if you have the meter. You take it at home or where ever you may be. It does not need to be done in a doctor's office. A blood draw is not necessary.

Blood sugar readings vary all throughout the day. Depends on what you eat, when you eat, if you don't eat, exercising, physical activity, sleeping, etc.

Surf the web for blood glucose meters. You may be able to have one delivered to you for free. As I said, many times manufacturers run promos.

In answer to your second question, you can test your blood sugar all throughout the day(s). You can then show your doctor your readings. He/she will best determine what course of action to pursue.

If you can get a meter and test strips, this may relieve some of the anxiety you are feeling. May put your mind at ease. Just follow the directions that come with the meter. You can also call the 800 number that comes with the manufacturer of that meter and have them help you test over the phone. I've done that to make sure that my meter was working properly.

This is the weekend and a bit slow for responses. It's not a chat room, so responses are not immediate. I just happened to be here at the same time you are. LOL.

Get a meter and ease your mind. If your blood sugars stay above 70, something else may be going on. You will need to call your doctor then if you don't feel better.

One thing I forgot to mention. If you ate or drank something with a lot of sugar or lots of carbohydrates, this can raise your blood sugar dramatically. Then your blood sugar will fall drastically causing symptoms of hypoglycemia. You may have watch out for that. Be careful what you eat and drink.

yes.. definitely if I drink wine in excess, I wake up in the morning or really early with a horrrrrible hungry feeling. so I don't drink that any more lol. lots of sugar does cause this. today after my cereal, I got very hungry with a headache 2 hours later, and it went away.. then later this evening I got hungry again with a small headache and ate again..

I was curious if you've heard of or know of hypoglycemia ever causing or being associated with an irregular period?

flutetooter replied to ashehgoshers's response:
People in the beginning stages of diabetes or prediabetes often suffer bouts of both high and low blood sugar. This is an early indication that your body is not responding in a normal way to metabollizing the carbohydrates you eat. This is a good time to be very proactive and change your eating habits to include much less juice, starchy foods like rice, potatoes, cereals, pastries, and add more non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, greens, zucchini.

Your doctor can run an A1c test, which does require a blood draw. It shows what your average sugar is over the past 2-3 months. Unfortunately your early morning fasting sugars is usually the last thing to go up when your are on you way to being diagnosed as a diabetic. By using your own meter and testing after a big meal or lots of wine, you can see how high your blood sugar really goes, and how low it drops when you are feeling bad.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

ashehgoshers replied to flutetooter's response:
would hypoglycemia be a prediabetic symptom? my father had it and as far as I know, no underlying disease. but Idk if they did any extensive tests for him. he may have diabetes now, and just didn't when he was younger, I don't know. I didn't know my father and still don't. just that he had that. he was also adopted as a child, so there's no way of knowing what illnesses/diseases he could have genetically.

even if it's genetic, can I reverse hypoglycemia or diabetes or control it just with how I eat? I do exercise at least 4-5 times a week, and I really don't eat that bad at all. I'm also not overweight. my bmi is at 23. my blood pressure is like 120/67, and my resting heart rate's at 68. so I feel healthy except for all of this business. I dunno. I just am so tired of it.

ashehgoshers replied to ashehgoshers's response:
also, should I even go to the doctor or just try to figure this out on my own? I feel like he's going to think I'm a hypochondriac since he tested me before and nothing showed up. but I know I ate later that evening before the morning of the test.. I know how hungry I feel and how sick I feel and how bad I sleep isn't normal. I just feel like he may think I'm crazy.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. A non-diabetic averages a 85 blood glucose reading.

With diabetes, the BS goes up if not kept under control.

Hypoglycemia is the complete opposite of what diabetes is.

You need to eat regular, nutritious meals with healthy snacks such as fruit and veggies. Three meals a day with two snacks, if you get hungry. Your meals should contain at least 3-4 oz protein, with a large portion of low-glycemic vegetables and a small, small amount of whole grains. Diabetics generally stay away from white starches and focus on whole grains, if they are able to eat grains.

There's no way we can diagnose here. You need to call your doctor if you are worred that something is wrong.

my glucose was 88 after fasting via blood test.. although now I think I have reactive hypo because I've been paying more attention to it lately, and it seems to occur mostly after I've eaten. I also didn't feel very sick after fasting.

but now, after I've eaten, even a huge meal ..sometimes within minutes or an hour I feel like I'm starving like crazy. I ate a big meal at a chinese place, mongolian chicken with brown rice.. within like 30 mins of leaving I was starving like crazy and feeling sick as if I'd not eaten all day. light headed, headache. felt like I wanted to puke. I haven't gone to the doc about my blood test results. seems like I have low blood counts though. I should go get it reviewed by a doc. but my glucose after fasting seems normal. I think it's just after I eat that I feel so bad. it's so frustrating. esp. when I'm trying to lose weight and I'm constantly hungry!

After a meal when you feel terrible, take your blood glucose right away. Don't wait for the 2 hours to pass. You need to know how high it is when it is high. It is impossible to have hypoglycemia right after a meal, but possible to have it an hour or so afterwards if your body oversecretes insulin in response to your meal.

If you are still going on wine drinkg binges, eating big SUGARY meals at a Chinese restaurant, eating rice, and still starving like crazy, your body systems are greatly out of the normal range.

It sounds like you are playing a game with blood sugar numbers and not at all serious about finding out what you have and treating it.

ashehgoshers replied to flutetooter's response:
I don't go on wine drinking binges.. I hardly drink at all. and I specifically said I can't drink wine because it makes me feel hungry and sick afterwards, so obviously I don't. and I don't eat big sugary meals that often. I eat very healthy about 90% of the time.
I think I'm just a bit hesitant because I tested before and my doc said I was fine, and then I took another blood test and my glucose was in range. I haven't purchased a glucose meter yet.
and worse case scenario, correct me if I'm wrong.. but even if all I had was reactive hypoglycemia, wouldn't the doctor just tell me I need to adjust what I eat?

I find that my doctors never mention steps I can take myself to cure an ailment , mostly because they don't really know all my habits, don't have the time, and are trained mostly in prescribing meds. Google "hypoglycemic diet" and you will find that it is the same as a good diabetic diet -- eating small meals or snacks often (like every 2-3 hours), including some lean protein and good fats with EVERY portion of carbohydrates (sugars & starches), and avoiding high sugar juices and foods all the time. Try it for a couple days and see if you feel better.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.