Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood glucose rising after exercise?
nikitakev posted:
Hi

can someone explain to my how blood sugar levels rise after exercise? My DH bg was 103 before and 210 after 30min of exercise . He was weight lifting , in contrast 30min on an exercise bike brought his bg down from 150 to 100.
Does that mean he can never work out with weights again? Or anything with minimal resistance , pushing a lawnmower for 30min also elevates his bg by ~ 100.
His endo and dietician appointment is still weeks away.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for your help!

garden50 responded:
I just posted a similar rection to gardening. The day I discovered the problem I had been doing plantings etc for about 1 1/2 hrs. Time for lunch so tested, it was 143 about when it was pre-breakfast. Disappointed but took the insulin required, ate a lite on carbs lunch (my normal), and fell asleep almost immediately while sitting in a chair. When I woke up a couple hrs. later BS was 112. I thought was it going up or down and decided to retest an hour later, had only unsweet ice tea, and to my shock it was 312, again nothing but ice tea an hour later it was 110. The meter tested accurate so they recommended not testing immediately as possibly the exercise caused stress and my body had reacted. I learned to take a reading 1 1/2 to 2 hours later for a more accurate result. I now know if I am sweating, breathing hard to sit and rest for at least an hour before testing and eating, and doing better most days.

auriga1 responded:
I don't have any experience with this, but lifting weights stresses muscles. When the body is stressed, blood glucose rises. Actually, all exercise or physical activity will stress the body, to different degrees.

The better thing would be to test later rather than right after exercise. If his blood sugar returns to normal later, things should be O.K.

The bike riding is nowhere near as stressful as lifting weights.
One would hate to give up exercise because of a rise in BS numbers. It wasn't food raising his numbers, which is a good thing. The key would be his BS returning to normal a bit later after exercise.

When exercising, the body releases growth hormone (anabolic hormone) that burns fat rather than glucose. Blood sugar is not being burned as the primary source of energy for the anabolic processes. Blood sugar will return to normal.

Burning fat is a good thing for all diabetics, types 1 and 2.

nabilharakeh responded:
Nabil Harakeh posted:
Relative to me I have Diabetes type 2, at 5:30 in the morning, my blood sugar test was 93, I do a stretching exercise for about 2 hours & 45 minutes, then I do the test again, my blood sugar test was 146, which seems normal after exercises

des1956 responded:
This has happened to me with weight training. After I finish my routine I add 5 minutes of cardio this has helped my bg

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.