Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hair Loss
chey223 posted:
Hi, does anyone know if Diabetes caused hair loss, or any medicines? My daughter is now losing quite a bit of hair. She was diagnosed 2 months ago. Or does anyone know what can help hair loss?

Debsbears responded:
Chey223 there can be many different reasons for hair loss - medications, illnesses and different kinds of alopecia. I have many different kinds of health issues and take many kinds of meds just not ones for my diabetes mine is currently under control with diet alone.

When I started losing my hair I searched the Internet to find a reason and I could not - so I went to my dermatologist who did a hair sample and I found out I have a type of alopecia called Telogen effluvium, mine is mainly caused by stressors or health issues I have going on. Every time I have a surgery I lose my hair from all areas of my body - then when the shock of my body recovers from the trauma some of the hair grows back.

I would strongly suggest having your daughter go see a dermatologist - you never know it could be to due medications or even just a seasonal thing. Please keep us posted.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 responded:
Thyroid issues are a major cause, too. Might be worth getting some labwork to check on that.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

ssh49tn responded:
I can tell you that anemia causes severe hair loss. My 2 oldest granddaughters are both anemic, & if they didn't have such thick hair, would both be bald. The one granddaughter loses so much that we have to clean the drain where she showers every couple of days. Also another hair loss cause is a bad thyroid. I had hypothyroidism, & my hair loss was nearly devastating. I had part of it removed surgically about 1 1/2 years ago, & since then the hair loss has slowed down. I don't know if diabetes causes hair loss or not, but if the dr says no, have her have them check her iron levels, plus thyroid levels. Those are done with blood tests, so not real expensive to have done.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here's a resource that could give you some additional reasons for hair loss:

Hair Loss Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment

Some good info about treatment and what to consider when looking for hair loss solutions.

Best to your daughter and you!

Haylen

NWSmom4g replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I lost a lot of hair following two major surgeries. Just as it had grown back, I got put on Methotrexate for RA. And now it's falling out again. I'm back on women's Rogaine, just trying to keep up with the loss!

Nancy

chey223 responded:
Thank you for all of the responses. We have a dr. appointment today, I will ask him about thyroid and anemia. I've also researched Biotin capsules and shampoos, not sure if they will work, but lots of people recommended it. I'll ask dr. also about that. She is only 18, and getting pretty stressed seeing her hair coming out in clumps. She had beautiful thick hair, and it's about half gone now.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.