Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Neurpathic foot pain
MELDPM posted:
I have been a podiatrist for the past 38 years and have been a type 2 diabetic for at least the past 2 years. My A1C started at 10.5 and is now down to 5.7. I have superficial numbness of my feet. Fortunately, no pain yet. What you need to remember is that diabetes affects every organ system. It affects you gait by changes in muscle function and increases the normal rate of arthritic change. It is likely that your walking pattern was abnormal to start with (that puts you with the other 90% of us) and now the complications of diabetes are making those symptoms worse. Stabilization of your feet and ankles is mandatory to preserve stability, stop the straining, and preserve shock absorption. This is the place to start, then symptom relief using anti-anxiety medication or capsacian cream or Voltaren Gel can provide relief.

brunosbud responded:
Great post, thanks!

My late father had both Parkinson's and Type 2 Diabetes.
Both were well controlled with no discernible neuropathy.

What I often wondered was, which disease had the greatest impact on his mobility. He "shuffled" and complained of chronic pain in his glutes and quads, so it was always assumed to be neurological in origin...ie. Parkinson's.

But, blood flow and oxygen supply to all parts of the body are essential for proper function so these same problems could easily manifest from poor circulation...ie., Diabetes

I'll never know what caused my father's death but, more and more, I'm beginning to view diabetes in a much more devious light...It must be treated with the utmost respect.

And, when you couple anemia with diabetes, common in seniors and women of any age, when it applies to diseases, this combo truly is the "perfect storm".

hootyowl2 responded:
What good is 'antianxiety' medication for nerve pain ? I do not get that one. My nerve pain is quite severe, the diabetic neuropathy was up to my knees before my diabetes was diagnosed in 2003. [It is now up to my hips>.

I have no idea about Voltaren, never heard of it. Capsacian maybe? Ben Gay and its ilk work for sore muscles and arthritis okay, Aspercreme is 100% useless. I cannot take NSAIDs.... I am on 1600 mg Neurontin for my neuropathy, and it helps some. I really could use a higher dose. It is also for my seizures.

laura2gemini2 replied to hootyowl2's response:
Voltaren is a NSAID in a gel form. It's for people who are not able to take systemic NSAIDs due to contraindications (ie. stomach ulcers).

I havent heard of anxiety medication for neuropathy, but I know that they do try tricyclic antidepressants as well as the neurontin. Some people also have a good response to Lyrica, although that one is prescribed more for fibromialgia.

You could also try Lidoderm if nothing else has worked. That comes in a patch. Most insurances will only cover it for post-herpetic neuralgia, but you can appeal (and most that do for diabetic neuropathy get it approved).

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.