Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Paula Deen sheds 30 lbs (photo)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Six months ago, Paula Deen announced that she had diabetes and had signed an endorsement deal with a diabetes medication.( The community discussion at that time is here: http://forums.webmd.com/3/diabetes-exchange/forum/8210/19#19)

She's now on the cover of People, having shed 30 pounds. What do you think about her transformation? Will it shed positive light on Diabetes and diet?

Haylen

flutetooter responded:
I have a feeling that she lost the weight ONLY because she thought her present heavy image would hurt the $$s she was bringing in. The public had become aware that her recipies were hurting her and possibly them. A person has to have a significant experience of some kind in order to make a big change. That was hers!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mhall6252 replied to flutetooter's response:
I've seen several Paula Deen interviews in the last several months. I'm inclined to give her way more credit.

Her recipes are no better or worse than most of those on the Food Network and those of most famous chefs...which means lots of butter, cream, eggs, cheese, oils, pasta, white flour, whatever. She just happened to get caught in the public eye because she became diabetic.

And since it was a long time from when she was diagnosed until she went public, I suspect she could have never gone public. While the drug deal is probably "sweet" she sure didn't need the money or the negative exposure of going public.

Is it possible to consider the idea that she wants to set a positive example? I think it's great that she's lost 30 pounds; getting to a proper weight is exactly what we all preach.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

mrscora01 responded:
I still don't get why everyone expects her to be a role model. It's not their choice to decide what she does with her life.

I am happy for her that she has lost 30 pounds. Good for her. I agree too that she is not much worse than any other show on the Food Network. It's entertainment, not education.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

NWSmom4g replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you, MrsCora01!

Elliemaeusa56 replied to mrscora01's response:
I agree, Cora. I say more power to her. Paula is a hoot and a great cook, but my goodness if those people who know some of her ingredients are above their healthy dietary limitations then they can make the necessary SUBSTITUTIONS and make it work for them......or change the channel. So tired of people criticizing her. No one twists my arm to watch her. Her son Bobby has launched a new show....."Not My Mammas Food" and it's great.

betatoo replied to Elliemaeusa56's response:
Sorry folks, but as far as I am concerned the jury is still out on her. Lets see what she is doing 3-5 years down the road, That said, who am I or anyone else to judge. I still remember some of the recipes posted and would not have touched them before I started eating the way I did. Some of them were loaded with an entire day of carbs in one meal. We have to get out of our carb happy comfort zones, not just for us, but our kids and their kids!

brunosbud responded:
I don't watch her and because my family has suffered, greatly, from Type 2 Diabetes, I think her recipes are outrageous and, in many respects, negligent...

That said, I applaud her efforts to reinvent, herself. Some would suggest, "Sure, if I stood to lose millions, I'd change, too!" Maybe so, but its the admission of wrongdoing...not through words, but, more powerfully, through specific action...that have made me come to admire her. Regardless of motives, good or bad, this woman has proven to me that she will go the distance to protect her own...

...Definitely, don't trust her, still, won't watch her but, she's earned my respect. She's joined the fight against diabetes. Kudos!

Question: She hid her diabetes...Is it possible she hid her weight loss surgery? If so, would that be relevant?

Anon_838 replied to brunosbud's response:
I listened to her on The View yesterday and she didn't sound like a role model to me. She says she's still eats her favorite foods but in moderation.

sseahag responded:
I congratulate Ms. Deen on coming out about her diabetes and trying to live with it in puplic. Puplic or private we should all cheer her on while she is trying to learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle and cook differently.I do agree with her statement everything in moderation! And with all her granchildren to chase after,she's bound to loose more weight. Keep it up Ms. Deen there are a lot of us rooting you on.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
Interesting question bruno - I didn't think about that possibility but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd say weight loss surgery is nobody's business...unless you're on the cover of People!

Denial741974 responded:
my opinion only, yes she's healthier but the truth she's not as pretty anymore than when she was overweight, that's only my opinion but I know she feels better about herself and that's the main thing. That counts she happy with her self I think Den
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just saw a news report that her husband is trying to lose 100 lbs and her son has dropped 40 pound.

Family support is so important!

Haylen

GBgrams replied to Elliemaeusa56's response:
We make our own choices on what we eat. Paula or no one can make us eat something that we KNOW is bad for us. I think her showing what diet change has done for her is great!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.