Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes and anemia
starstacer posted:
I was diagnosed with type 2 almost a year ago and I am currently on Metformin. I have been slightly anemic all my life and last month was diagnosed with severe anemia. Is metformin ok to take while being anemic? I was reading the stuff about G6PD deficiency and got all confused.... Also another question about metformin.. Is it safe to take nsaids with it?
Thank you for any help:)

NWSmom4g responded:
Starstacer, G6PD deficiency is rare and there are tests to diagnose this condition. Discuss this possibility with your doctor. In the meantime, keep up with the Metformin. It's probably the safest Diabetes drug on the market.

Nancy

familyandi responded:
between 400 and 600 million people have G6PD deficiency in various stages. Most people never know they have it and it does not impact their daily life at all.
Metformin can be a reason for anemia in a person with G6PD deficiency , just ask your doctor for a blood test. This test is simple and inexpensive.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi starstacer -

Here is a great resource to check drug information and read user reviews of others who are on a particular medicine.

WebMD Drugs and Medication A - Z

Please be sure to check in with your doctor before starting, stopping or changing the dose of any drug or supplement.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.