Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
whole grain vs high fiber
An_246277 posted:
I am trying to eat right. I dont like a lot of bread, but I was looking at the diabetic sample diet and figured I could have a sandwich most days plus one slice for breakfast. My confusion comes in when I check the labels. I like one kind of bread that is 10 grams of fiber for two slices and same cals as one sl. regular bread. But some of the choices have more whole grain and less fiber. Which is better?

flutetooter responded:
You need to know how many grams of CARBOHYDRATES you are allowed at each meal or snack.That number includes your breads, cereal, vegetables, fruits, juices, milk, pasta ,rice, etc. Then decide how much of how many things you can eat.

I am on a very limited carb diet and it keeps me medicine free. That is my choice.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mhall6252 responded:
The best way to find out is to use your meter and test two hours after eaeting each kind. That will give you the answer. We are all different and some people do fine with whole grain, some do better with lots of fiber. By the way, my money is on the high fiber version.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

betatoo replied to mhall6252's response:
We have had this discussion in the past, and many of us have found that the sandwich rounds that are 100 cal and have a good amount of fiber are pretty good for most of us. I use them for sandwiches, hamburgers, pizza's and other things. How often? Usually when the desire hits me, maybe once every two weeks! I also use sandwiches more when my calorie burn will be greater like when kayaking, camping and hiking, bike riding etc.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.