Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Statin Drugs for Diabetics
minpinlove posted:
Does anyone have any suggestions of a good statin drug or even if I should be on one? My LDL is 125 and Iam diabetic. My doctor said it should be under 100 for normal people and around 70 for diabetics. I am only 45 yrs. old. The only other reason for putting me on this is that I am about 40 lbs. overweight and of course Diabetic. I exercise twice a day, no high blood pressure, no history of heart disease. I just don't know what to do. Help!!!!

TomJ45 responded:
As with any drug, reactions and results will differ for individuals. I've been on Pravastatin (generic for Pravachol) for 7 years and have had no side effects. It pretty well has kept my cholesterol in check. Get a recommendation from your doctor and then do some research. You may decide that the benefit is not worth the risk. I've declined to take some diabetic meds because of the potential for serious side effects.You didn't say what your HDL is. The following website shows recommended ranges for HDL and LDL.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001

Denial741974 responded:
My opinion only none of them are good for us. It's really bad for the heart, but I take it only reason I take it my cholesterol is so high and being with the mental illness prevents me to lower my cholesterol. I eat horrible but I'm eating fruit at times. If I was you don't take it can pervent because it's ruining my heart.
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

betatoo responded:
I have been on Lipitor in the past, but am off of it now. This is a decision on the part of my Dr and myself, after discussing the studies showing increased risk of diabetes with Statins. I am now taking Niaspin, doing well, even though the numbers are not quite as good as under the Lipitor. I do not take medication, and since dx have lost 20lb. Pass up on all white starches, and limit severely the brown ones. I exercise regularly everyday of the week at a level that many would find daunting-50 push ups, 30 pull ups, biking, kayaking, walking, total gym. These activities have helped me gain back muscle tissue lost due to age, and increased muscle that was never there before. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do.

mhall6252 responded:
In my opinion, the best "drug" would be losing those excess pounds. It will likely take care of the problem and then you won't need a statin. Your LDL isn't horrible and if your HDL is good, then you probably have a good ratio. Losing 20 pounds may make a huge difference.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Denial741974 replied to mhall6252's response:
hi Michelle, you remember me, how are you?hope everything is going good with you with your health and diabetes, for the past month I've been working really hard on my mental illness with all my programs. I'm learning a lot, so anyway is not all about me. How are your family, you're looking good in your picture. I should put a picture up here but it's really a boundary issue I can get into too many details about that it's very personal I hope you understand. So anyway how's the weather by you it been very hot here to you really believe in Staten drugs, I heard there bad for our heart but I do know you can lose weight on it. If that's a key not working for me. I keep on gaining weight anyway you take care Michel
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

mhall6252 replied to Denial741974's response:
Thanks, Den. I am doing OK. The weather is nice and summery, just the way I like it. I don't take a statin drug. The idea is that it's supposed to protect your heart. I don't think it helps with weight loss.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

hootyowl2 responded:
Not everyone with high cholesterol can take these meds. They are very harsh on the liver too. I cannot take them because of an enlarged liver. My doctor has me on Niaspan. There was an article on the news recently that this really does not help. My doc thinks it helps. Whatever. I would ditch it if she would let me... At least it is only rx strength niacin which is a B vitamin. My cholesterol numbers have greatly improved since my diabetes was dx'd, however, they are still not quite ideal enough to suit my doctors. The improvements were before I was put on the Niaspan; since then they have remained stable and not changed much. I cannot tell that it has made one bit of difference. It has a placebo effect on my doctor, not me.

Hooty

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.