Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Doctor Question
    hootyowl2 posted:
    What kind of doctor takes care of veins ? I have an injury on my left heel since January, and the open wound healed up okay, but the internal bruising and swelling has not gone down and still hurts like H. I had my doc check it, and she says I have a large varicose vein in my heel making it swell like that. I was wondering if I ought to see a specialist about it, but have no idea what kind. I see my doc for my 3 month check up later this month, and thought I would ask her if I should see a specialist. I was walking my horse when it happened. We both stumbled at the same time, and her hoof hit my heel while we caught our balance. There is no redness or other sign of infection, so I do not think that is the problem.

    Anon_74671 responded:
    vascular surgeon?
    Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_74671's response:
    I think vascular is the way to go - found this description in the WebMD Physician Directory :

    Vascular Surgeon

    Common Name: Blood Vessel Surgeon

    A subspecialty certification by the Board of Surgery; practitioners are skilled in the management of surgical disorders of those blood vessels not immediately adjacent to the heart, lungs or brain.

    Specialty: Surgery, Vascular , Vascular Surgery
    hootyowl2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
    thank you Anon and Haylen.

    I see my doc in about 2 weeks, perhaps I need to ask about a vascular surgeon ? my heel hurts like heck almost constantly.


    Helpful Tips

    Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.