Skip to content
Doctor Question
hootyowl2 posted:
What kind of doctor takes care of veins ? I have an injury on my left heel since January, and the open wound healed up okay, but the internal bruising and swelling has not gone down and still hurts like H. I had my doc check it, and she says I have a large varicose vein in my heel making it swell like that. I was wondering if I ought to see a specialist about it, but have no idea what kind. I see my doc for my 3 month check up later this month, and thought I would ask her if I should see a specialist. I was walking my horse when it happened. We both stumbled at the same time, and her hoof hit my heel while we caught our balance. There is no redness or other sign of infection, so I do not think that is the problem.

Anon_74671 responded:
vascular surgeon?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_74671's response:
I think vascular is the way to go - found this description in the WebMD Physician Directory :

Vascular Surgeon

Common Name: Blood Vessel Surgeon

A subspecialty certification by the Board of Surgery; practitioners are skilled in the management of surgical disorders of those blood vessels not immediately adjacent to the heart, lungs or brain.

Specialty: Surgery, Vascular , Vascular Surgery
hootyowl2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you Anon and Haylen.

I see my doc in about 2 weeks, perhaps I need to ask about a vascular surgeon ? my heel hurts like heck almost constantly.


Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 152 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.