Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Endocrinology
HEATHERCP12 posted:
My daughter is 13 and has been taking metformin since she was 7 for an adrenal deficiency related to 3-beta dehydroxy steriod deficiency. She goes to the endocrinologist every 6 months and has lab work done each time along with a bone age xray. They always debate the issue of whether they will take her off the metformin come the next visit depending upon her lab results. I look at her lab work and the levels all say they are normal but when we go to the visit they say we are going to continue the metformin because her values are off and they have mentioned that taking her off may cause her to develop diabetes. I am so confused by all of this. I also know they have had her on the metformin to slow her bone age, she has always been about 2 years advanced. She did just start her period for the first time on June 18th. Will someone explain a little better the reasons for not discontinuing the metformin and does it have the potential to stunt her bone growth?

NWSmom4g responded:
I don't think we can help; that's a pretty esoteric question. All I can suggest is to sit down with her Endochrinologist, and really demand some answers. Good Luck!

Nancy

mhall6252 replied to NWSmom4g's response:
I agree with Nancy, and if you are not satisfied, seek a second opinion.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.