Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New here, finally decided to come to my senses
kateebug1963 posted:
Hello everyone, I'm Katie and I've been in denial about my diabetes for a long time. However the heat here in Ohio has made me realize that I cannot take my health for granted anymore, and i Need a supportive community to help me on my journey to better health. My blood sugar has been horrible for the past few months, and I believe the heat (and menopause and working in a physically challenging and poor a/c environment) has really made things worse. 224 reading a bit ago. Unfortunately i'm one of those ones w/o health insurance so I just cant go to the doctor. Anyway its nice to meet folks and hope others arent too hot!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome!

You've found a great community - very supportive and smart! Feel free to ask a question or chime in on discussions anytime.

Be sure to check out some great WebMD resources here:

Diabetes Health Center

Dr. Dansinger's Blog - Conquering Diabetes

The temps in Southern California are approaching 100 this week - boo high temps!

Congrats on "coming to your senses!"

Haylen

dianer01 responded:
Welcome Kateebug.

One of the biggest things I have learned in life is do not try to change everything in one day or you will be overwhelmed and probably not stick with your new program.

That said, You may want to change the most obvious things first such as eliminating cookies, candy, chips or sugared soda. After cleaning those things out of your house, try making a menu for the next two or three days. If you are like me, I get home from work tired and busy and try to put dinner together without a plan...It is usually the easiest choice, not the best.

Have you set goals for your fasting blood glucose? Time to set some and when you meet them, what will be your non food reward?

Time to look forward, no need to look back. I am sure others will bring great ideas for moving forward in the next day or so.

my best to you.
accelerate out of the corners

brunosbud responded:
Physically challenging work may be a blessing for you. Rather than view it as a negative, you will be clearing your blood of excess glucose, 8hrs/day, and be paid while doing it!

You don't state at what time you took that 224 reading. By not specifying the time in relation to your last meal, its impossible to interpret what that reading means.

There are many diabetics who work physically demanding jobs and use it, in lieu, of a daily workout...waitresses, construction, hospitality, maintenance...Just be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and be sure to eat at regularly timed intervals. Never skip meals.

Sure you need to see a doctor, eventually...But, until that time comes, by eating smart and moving throughout the day you'll be doing what every doctor wished all their patients would do...

...living healthy...

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Brunosbud, I totally agree with you that physically challenging work may be a blessing. I say that because it has been a benefit for me.

You've probably seen me around here; diagnosed with uncontrolled diabetes with an A1C of 13.2. With diligent work and use of my insulin, I now sit at 5.8.

I have just gotten a part-time job (15 hours a week.) Something I've never done before. I was working as a volunteer at the Salvation Army Senior Lunch Program and then the SA hired me. It's three hours a day but those three hours are constant movement. Serving lunch and then cleaning up afterward. There is no sitting down.

I discovered the hard way that I don't need my insulin if I eat the lunch. I took it the first time, and dropped down into the 50's. As long as I keep moving, I don't need my mealtime insulin. Boon for me, I guess. It feels good. When I first started this job, I hurt for a week. Must have used muscles I normally don't. Good thing if one is healthy enough to do it. Twisting, turning, lifting, etc.

If I do go low, there is food and drink around to bring it right back up. Another boon.

To Kateebug, I realize this weather has been the pits. I'm not too far from you...Chicago. Triple digits for days in a row. Commiserate with you on trying to be active in this weather. If you can, stay as active as you can. Don't give up. It helps the blood sugar in ways you would not believe.

You say you've been in denial a long time. I hope you know what you should or shouldn't eat. Or what agrees with your blood sugar or doesn't. Be careful and count those carbs.

My diabetic team is dynamite. Because of that nasty diagnosis (hate that word - uncontrolled) my team had me journal everything I put into my mouth. Those foods and drinks I journaled had to include the amount of carbs in them. I was to stick to 35-45 grams of carbs per meal. Also, I was to take my blood sugar reading two hours after a meal. This is very telling in how your body reacts to carbs. That number should be under 140.

Brunosbud is right. Eat smart and keep moving throughout the day. It has helped me immensely.

divernan responded:
Congratulations on "coming to your senses"! I am sure a lot of us have been there too (I know I have).
Another good thing I have found that helps me is a free website called myfitnesspal.com
I use this site to track my meals and exercise daily. It gives you calories, carbs, fat, and protein for thousands of food items.
It is a wonderful tool. My diabetes educator told me about it and I use it daily.
Good luck to you. Remember it is a process and to just take one day at a time.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.