Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How are you staying cool?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Supposed to be triple digits in parts of LA today (my part - boo!)

Any tips and tricks to beat the heat? I love to eat frozen chunks of mango from Trader Joes.

How are you staying cool other than cranking the air and staying inside?

Haylen

teststrips responded:
Saying in is my only option. I can't even walk the dog...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to teststrips's response:
My daughters preschool has misters going in the play area - they felt great!

However, that was this morning before the temps really started to rise - Not sure if they will be effective later in the day. They keep the kids inside if it gets too hot.

Haylen

auriga1 responded:
Triple digits are dangerous for everyone. I don't see a way of staying cool outdoors unless you have water spraying on you or in water cool enough to lower the temp of your inner core if you are too hot.

We had days of 100 degree temps here in the Midwest. Our only option was going to work to stay cool and then going home to the a/c. Way too exciting. LOL.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
My daughter is going to an amusement park tomorrow with her camp - I'm going to buy her a "camelback" water pouch tonight. I'll fill it up and freeze it - that should keep her cool for a while.

If the temps are too high, I'll keep her home, of course!

H

auriga1 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, hopefully, she can go. We've had camps cancelled here because of the weather. Just to keep the kids safe. Hopefully, it won't be a long day for those kiddies. Little bit of fun is good.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
Well, I let her skip...probably going to be over 100 at the amusement park so I really couldn't blame her for not wanting to go!

H

Debsbears responded:
My only option is to walk underground via the subways to keep out of the heat. To and from Mayo is only 3 blocks but with the high heat index I have to walk nearly 12 blocks to get back and forth to the hotel.

I will be finally coming home on Sat the 14th, I am so excited. I will give a complete update on Sunday.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Good to hear from you, Deb! Can't wait to hear the final results.

It's warm here but very low humidity. And...I am on a lake so I am never too hot. We turned on the A/C today because my husband's office is on the second floor and it gets too warm up there.

100 in LA - that's unusual, isn't it?
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

hootyowl2 responded:
It is "only" 87 here today. But a week or so ago, it was 110' in the shade. Nasty. Actually a person can get heat stroke if it is only 80' according to a science article that I read.

I know I can get heat sickness very easily, have had trouble with it every summer since the 1970s. At my last job, they kept it overly hot in there, and I could have heat exhaustion within 30 minutes of arriving at work. They kept it so horribly hot to keep the residents 'warm'. Well, they do not have to wear shorts and tank tops if they cannot tolerate regular room temps. I was putting ice chips in my shirt for awhile, but they decided it didnt look "nice". Humph. Neither does gallons of sweat pouring out of me from head to foot. It could be 350' F in the nursing home, and residents would still claim to be "freezing". I once got so sick from the heat that my BP went up to 224/179 because I could not keep my meds down.

I have 5 fans going, and my kids have a small AC in their window. I take lots of COLD showers, eat cold foods and do as little cooking as possible.

Hooty

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.