Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just for fun: Your first car?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Mine was a 1980 4 door silver honda civic - maroon interior.

It was a hand-me-down from my mom - I had to pay for gas and insurance.

The only problem was that a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage once rolled under the front seat after a grocery shopping trip. It was not discovered for a day in 100+ heat. That car never quite smelled the same despite cutting out the carpet and multiple air freshening attempts!

How about yours?

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

auriga1 responded:
LOL. I remember it vividly because it was the ugliest thing I ever did see, but it ran and got me to where I was supposed to go.

I believe it was in 1975 when I got my first car. My memory - not so good sometimes. But the car was this four-door, blue Chevy Belair. A totally ugly blue that must have had LSD in it or something, because it was that ugly (my vocabulary has seen better days.) Car manufacturers don't use those colors anymore. Good thing IMO. Many, many miles on it. Don't know what year. Not as far back as the 50's, could have been a 60-something. I'm just a tad older than you. LOL.

Those cloth seats with holes in the material. I'm trying to remember if I could see through the floorboards. Some car I was in you could see the street as you were driving down it.

Had to get rid of it when I broke down on a bridge with no shoulder on the 294 Toll Road here in Illinois. Trying to get to work. Worked with some great people, and a wonderful gentleman from work picked me up where I was broken down. How embarrassing because I was that STUPID car that backed up traffic for miles. OMG. I know what people say when they go by cars that are stopped dead in their tracks in the middle of the road. Some not too nice words. In my experience though, there are more nice people out there than you think.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to auriga1's response:
Great memories of your car auriga1. Thanks for sharing - I wish I could see that blue color you are talking about! I've never thought of a blue as being ugly!

davedsel57 responded:
I bought my first car in 1980. It was a 1982 Ford Pinto that was mustard yellow with a brown interior. I put cool brown, red, yellow and orange stripes on it. Because of its color scheme, I called it the "Hot Dog". I was a crazy driver back then and burnt out the engine in about 4 years.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Denial741974 replied to davedsel57's response:
my first car when I was 17 years old 1965 mustang, red 2 door cope.
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

Debsbears responded:
My first car was also a Honda Civic - hatch back. I paid 500 for it and had to learn how to drive it - it was a stitck shift.

Once I thought I had the hang of it - I took it home and tried to park it in my space - well I broke down the fence, I was so upset thinking my landlord was going to charge me a fortune to fix - on the flip side he thanked me - he was planning on taking it down now it didn't cost him a penny I did it for him.

I drove that car until it died. Then went only to automatic drive.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

betatoo responded:
You are really trying to show our age aren't you. My first car was a 1963 Dodge Dart Coupe-2 speed push botton automatic with a 170 cubic inch engine that I bought in 1970 to drive while student teaching. It went through the first engine, and I dropped a second in and drove it another year til it died. My wifes first car was a Ford Maverick coupe 1970 or 71. Most of you probably never heard of these vehicles.

dianer01 responded:
My first car was a 1976 Pinto. It was powder blue. When I first brought it home my step mom said it looked like a powder puff. Well the name "Puff" stayed. I was so proud of that car, it was from the south which when you are from Ohio meant it didn't have rust holes on the fenders or bottom of the doors.
accelerate out of the corners

mrscora01 responded:
Mine was a dark blue, 76 Chevette named Cheryl. A hand me down from my Mom. We had moved and the school buses would no longer take me to my old high school and my folks didn't want to disrupt my last 2 years of high school. So I got to drive myself. I loved Cheryl and have terrific memories of her. Even when my Dad poked a hole in her. He was pointing out some rust and poking at it and I kept telling him to stop - "you'll poke a hole in it.....stop...you'll poke a hole in it......stop....you'll poke a hole in it". Pow. "Oh, look. I poked a hole". The poor guy still gets reminded of that story sometimes. He's a good sport though.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mrscora01 replied to betatoo's response:
Betatoo, my Mom had a Dodge Dart. She loved that car. It was black with a red leather interior. Don't know the year, but it was sporty and looked cool.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

NWSmom4g replied to mrscora01's response:
My very own first car (the others had been "our" cars) was a brand new Ruby red 1972 Fiat 125. It had a stick shift, and no radio...and of course no A/C. I loved it for four years, when the body started deteriorating from rust. Then I sold it...it lasted, I heard, another two years, when the bottom fell off (literally).

Nancy

laura2gemini2 responded:
1983 chevy custom delux 1/2 ton red pickup, born the same year as me. I loved it. It was suped up to be a construction vehicle so it had nail proof tires, a truck box, and a dual exhaust. To turn on the brights you had to step on a button on the floor next to the breaks, and the vent didnt work. I could drive that truck through anything. I got it the Christmas that I was 16.

I named it Axle Van Bowie. Sadly it died after 4 years and 175k miles.

davedsel57 replied to davedsel57's response:
Whoops...that was a 1972 Ford Pinto I bought in 1980. I think they stopped making them by 1980.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Hah, I remember those vehicles. Dodge is looking pretty smart these days. Can't believe there is still a Dart.

betatoo replied to davedsel57's response:
Yeah they got the axe about the same time the vega did!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.