Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
A1C
An_246520 posted:
I am not diabetic but have noticed that my fasting blood sugar has been elevated when I wake in the morning. It has been ranging between 109 and 116. When I spoke to my doctor about it she did an A1C on me and it came out at 5.8. I know this is prediabetic but my doctor said it was normal. The problem I have is that I don't understand why this is occuring. I actually have lost 45 pounds over the last seven months because of stomach issues where I have eliminated gluten and am trying to eat very healthy. I also exercise at least three to four times per week. So I am totally confused as to why this is happening and what I can do about it since I am already doing what I need to do and my fasting blood sugar levels are still not where they should be. I live a very healthy life with no smoking, drinking or drugs. Anyone have any ideas.

mrscora01 responded:
Diabetes is not necessarily caused by lifestyle. In many cases, it happens no matter how healthy your actions. I would keep checking and being monitored by the doc.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 responded:
Ah, the loss of pounds and no change in numbers. So get where you are.

There are some of us that life will throw something at us that cannot be changed.

I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic six years ago. I got stuck with the Type 2 moniker because of my age. I was underweight at diagnosis, yes, underweight. Many ask how I can have diabetes. I ask myself this. My first A1C was 13.2. No where near normal. It happens, just like MrsCora said.

I've always eaten healthy and was always active. I now need two insulins to keep healthy along with watching the carbs I eat and keeping active.

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep testing. Keep exercising. Watch what you eat, most definitely. You may have to cut down on carbs to keep your numbers in line.

Keep an open line of communication with your doctor. Best of luck to you.

tuning responded:
You're worried about fasting blood glucose of 109 to 116??!!

If I had those readings I'd be ecstatic!

Those are not elevated readings, IMHO.

And an A1C os 5.8 -- wow! It's fabulous.

Stop worrying about diabetes, and just enjoy your lifestyle.

mhall6252 responded:
Sounds like you're doing all the right things...so keep on keepin' on! Congratulations on the weight loss - that along with regular exercise will go a long way towards reversing your "prediabetic" condition.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

brunosbud responded:
I agree that the weight loss can work in your favor provided you were overweight to begin with...

For example...If I was a doctor and a patient came to me and said, "Hey, doc, my blood pressure has dropped in 7 mns from 130:80 to 90:80, or, my temperature has dropped to 95.6 the last 7 mns, or, my fasting glucose went from 110 to 70", it would be cause for concern and require further investigation, imo.

You're assumption that the 45 lb weight loss was attributable to "stomach issues" may well be true. But, it could also be caused by uncontrolled blood sugar, too. How do you know for sure?

My suggestion is simple and the same for everyone, regardless of A1C...

"Act as if..."

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hello,

It is a misconception that people who are healthy and not overweight can't develop diabetes; unfortunately they can! You are correct, an A1C of 5.7 to 6.4% are considered to be in the "prediabetes" or glucose intolerant range. At 6.5% you would be a person with diabetes.

Factors such as your previously being overweight could play a part in your elevated A1C (a small percentage of the A1C number actually goes back as far as your blood glucoses 4 months ago), so working toward a healthy weight is a great way to decrease your risk of developing diabetes. Your family history also plays a large part in your risk.

You are barely within the range of abnormal A1C, so try not to be too hard on yourself! I would suggest that you continue to take good care of yourself by exercising and eating well, and discuss rechecking your A1C with your doctor in about 6 months to see how things are going.

Kind regards, Laurie

postmas replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Thank you Laurie. Your response was very helpful. I am continuing on my healthy journey and have noticed over the last week that my fasting blood sugars have come down below 100. My doctor is doing another A1C in three months to see where I am at. Once again, thank you.

hisbody responded:
I was told that any number under 100 is in the safe zone. Try checking your blood sugar in the moring and two hour after dinner. What did your doctor say?

An_247019 responded:
do some research on the Dawn Phenomenon and the Somoghy effect

salwel responded:
I have Type 2 diabetes. I often experience "dawn phenomina". As my body gets ready for morning my blood sugar rises, making my early reading a little higher. My son has type 1, and experiences the same thing. The physicians gave us this brief explanation.

JudyFre responded:
I can totally relate. I have a very similar situation. I lost weight and knew that I was eating fairly low carbs and only healthy ones, being whole grains, fruits and beans. I was eating absolutely no desserts or refined carbs. I exercise daily. My doc said that having FBS's similar to yours were definitely concerning since I was no longer overweight and I was eating very healthy. Some people have genetically induced DM, which is different from those who have diabetes because of their lifestyle, ie. overweight and inactive. My A1C was 6.8 which corresponds to an average BS of about 145. Too high! I was started on metformin. The good news is catching this early, I and you, too, will avoid having complications from DM. Ask your doc how many carbs you should eat with each meal, follow that advice and get your A1c tested again in 3 months. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.