Skip to content
Debsbears - checking in!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I hope you are home safe and sound!

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing after all of your poking and prodding. I bet your own bed felt great!

Haylen

Debsbears responded:
Thanks for asking - I am a little apprehensive to tell all that is wrong because none of it is diabetic related. I learned alot about all that is wrong and I am having a hard time sharing it because I don't fit in a mold - I am feeling like I don't belong to any group because I don't just have one thing wrong or one particular thing wrong.

I hope you can make sense of this. I am beginning to feel like it's all about me and that is not what this board is about it is suppose to be for diabetes.

Not sure how to share right now.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb - I understand how you feel...sometimes I feel like that when talking about my cancer.

Would you be OK putting it out on your blog, letting us know when you've got it out there, then anyone who has been following your journey can read it and comment there?

To be honest, I feel you've been a member of this group for so long that most of us would be perfectly OK with your sharing right here.

When you're ready, many of us will be ready to hear the whole story. Until then, (((hugs)))

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, thank you I will do some sharing soon - I think I mentioned or maybe I didn't but my Dr days aren't over yet. With the new findings comes more intense testing and procedures.

Just a little for now - On Mon. I had to call my Hematologist to ask who do I contact first Vascular Surgeon or GI doc? Strange question to ask right?

Well I called both and on Thurs. I have a consult to have the ablation done on both legs, Friday I have to have an Endoscopy and Tuesday a colonoscopy. These 3 things are so high on the ASAP list I was shocked. I read the reports to the PA over the phone and they couldn't get me in faster.

I didn't know having iron deficiency anemia for 4 yrs was a big deal - every Dr told me it's no big deal and never tried to find out why I can't maintain my iron. Mayo said my numbers are so off I have to be bleeding out somewhere, that is why the need for the tests. And the Drs here for 4 yrs tried to tell me it's all in my head.

Yes I am thankful to have gone to Mayo but the full extend of what is to come hasn't hit me yet - I am still trying to comprehend it all. Thanks for understanding. I know I am not alone. Deb.

Phototaker123 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, I haven't signed on in quite a while. I just wanted to add to Michelle's comment that I also feel it would be appropriate to share what's going on with you. We've known you for so long.
I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this, but glad you've found great doctors who are diagnosing you correctly now. How awful to be told it's in your head. As soon as you're ready to share, we'll be here. I don't check in every day anymore. Just know that.

mhall6252 replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb,

Thanks for the update. I guess I'm a little surprised that Mayo didn't go ahead and perform any necessary testing so they could study the results themselves.

I have a friend who has been anemic for a while. She has just undergone both a blood and platelets transfusion. And she had the endoscopy/colonoscopy which came back normal. Apparently, there is some syndrome that can cause you to be anemic without any of the apparent causes (not pernicious anemia, though). I can't remember the name of it, but my friend's father has the same problem and gets an occasional transfusion. And oh, he's lived with this for a long time - he's almost 92 and still goes to the gym every day! I'll be praying for some good answers for you.

One day, one procedure at a time, Deb.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears replied to mhall6252's response:
Hi Michelle - they didn't do these there for 2 reasons:

1) I am on Warfarin (blood thinners) and these procedures require me to be off my meds 5 days prior before they can do them. And since there are 3 procedures they can't be done on the same day which means being off the Warfarin longer. This is not a problem as long as I can get my heparin shots daily.

2) Having these procedures at home means if something went wrong (God forbid) and had to have surgery or stay in the hospital I am at least near my home.

The Drs at Mayo agreed and felt this was good strategy on my part but made agree to calling and making appts for ASAP which I did.

These procedures are typically done out-patient. I do like both my Vascular and GI surgeons so part is not a problem for me. Just want to get it over with so we can put closure to part of this Medical Mystery.

I have had infusions of iron but with adverse effects - so now if if they can't find a cause to my deficit then I will have to have the iron infusions done as a 24hr day surgery case so I can be monitored. I can not take the supplements because my colon is basically gone and I get too constipated from just one pill. I will deal with the infusions or iron transfusions.

I am glad your friend dad is doing well with his treatments.

laura2gemini2 replied to Debsbears's response:
Since you have a bad time with iron infusions, have the drs ever discussed using a medication that can help increase the # of red blood cells? There are 2 off the top of my head called Procrit and Epogen. Since you are on warfarin already it may be a good choice for you to try.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, thank you for sharing!

One of the best things about this community is that I feel I really know some of the members - personality, activities, likes, dislikes, struggles and triumphs.

There are lots of places to go on the web to ask questions and get answers - this is a place for everyone to share. If a member doesn't want to read non-diabetes posts, they can just skip it - no harm, no foul!

Deb, you are so aggressive with your approach to your own health - it is great to see. And I'm glad you are slowly getting answers and further courses of treatment!

Haylen

Debsbears replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Laura thank you for your response at Mayo they say that there are new meds/shots I could probably use without the ill effects - but before trying anything new they feel it is best first to see if there could be a slow bleed that won't clot.

If nothings found then the options are on the table. My numbers have been low for 4 yrs now - they said it is long over due to investigate.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.