Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CGM??
sickofit46060 posted:
I'm having a very hard time keeing my bg in check so i've been thinking seriously about the cgms. I know nothing about them.
I think it would be worth any inconvienence but not sure? My A1C has been pretty high the last few years. I really want to get thing back on track.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said I know NOTHING about them. I would love to find out if they beep at you when your out of range (and does that drive u crazy?) How long can you wear them? Do you insert or is it automatic? Which brand is best??

Thank you!!

Debsbears responded:
Right here on WebMD they talk about the CGM here's the link

http://diabetes.webmd.com/continuous-glucose-monitoring
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

sickofit46060 replied to Debsbears's response:
I already read that article but what i'm talking about is more long term? That says you wear about 3 days and go to the DR and have them take off. I'm talking about something you change yourself. Maybe I didn't call it the right thing?

An_245101 responded:
Sorry Debsbears couldn't help you prehaps this is a question for your Drs. Are you on insulin? If so here is a site for daily use http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/insulin-pump-education-center/system-overview.html

Bottom line is one should always get their Drs involved if you are having trouble getting on tract the dr should be able to recommend the right product for you.

mrscora01 responded:
You can get a lot more than 3 days out of a cgm insertion. There are ways around the device's insistence on being renewed. I believe some people get 10 days out of a dexcom, and the medtronic version gets about 6 or 7 days.

I didn't like mine. I didn't find it very accurate, but they may have improved. Some people have a lot of luck with them but others don't. They are more important if you are hypoglycemically unaware. But you can get similar results if you test a lot. I would go to the dexcom site and visit medtronic as well and see what they each have to say about their cgms.

As for insertion, you just push it in, like a needle. It goes in at an angle and requires a large square of tape to affix the whole thing. Again, I didn't like it because I found it bulky and it didn't communicate with my pump that well either.

I can't think of what else to tell you. I wore it for a few weeks. Feel free to ask mroe questions.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mrscora01 responded:
Just to add. Diabetes Daily has an entire thread on CGMs .

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mrscora01 replied to mrscora01's response:
Sorry, I meant forum, not thread. You will get good info there.

Cora

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.