Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes
An_246579 posted:
Is diabetes considered a disability? Why or why not?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrscora01 responded:
Diabetes in and of itself will not stop you from doing what you want/need to do. The complications of diabetes can cause you to be considered disabled.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Anon_74671 responded:
in Canada to qualify for the disability tax credit you must spend 14 hours a week
Monitoring blood glucose levels
Preparing and administering the insulin
Calibrating necessary equipment
Maintaining a logbook of blood glucose levels

does having diabetes make you disabled? by law yes, by ability, no, but isn't that true of most people with disabilities

mrscora01 replied to Anon_74671's response:
In Canada, getting the disability tax credit does not necessarily qualify you for getting disability payments. They are 2 separate things. So even in this case, it does not make you disabled.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

bigheelfan021 replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks friend. I am going through some things and I am just trying to clarify some things.

bigheelfan021 replied to Anon_74671's response:
I am type II

hootyowl2 responded:
I do not consider it a 'disablity', you can do anyting anyone else does if you take care of the diabetes and your other health issues.

The complications of diabetes can cause you to be disabled enough not to work. I have diabetic neuropathy which gives me problems walking, and losing my balance easily. I have other health issues that keep me from working, and yes, I am on disability. I do not consider myself "diabled" though, and do just about anything except drive a vehicle. That is due to another health issue, and keeps me from having a job around here. If I had an online job, that would be great. Finding one is the problem.

Hooty

tjan60 responded:
Diabetis is a disease and there are different types of diabetis and different treatments. Diabetis, the severity of the disease and the complications from it can cause a person to have disabilities. I have not only diabetis, but also severe neuropathy which impairs my mobility and other complications. Because I choose to label myself as someone with impairments instead of disabled. I can still work but with accomodations. But in the eyes of the laws to be able to use handicap parking and other facilities due to mobility issues, and to work with accomodations they label you as being handicap/disabled. So I choose not to give in to my disease mentally and look upon myself as someone with impairments.

bubbadave replied to mrscora01's response:

I agree completely! Diabetes alone isn't necessarily a disability; but, the damnable complications are what will cause a body to have problems. As mentioned by Cora. I've been on Social security disability for about 15 years and on insulin for over 40 years. I don't feel low blood sugar reactions. I've been taken to the hospital because of it several times. I am careful but sometimes it drops so fast and so low, I'm completely unaware of them. Without my wife near I may eventually find myself dead because of them. I have also had a coronary, I have neuropathy in both feet and often have infections in them. These are my problems and live with them; but, who would hire me?

DavidHueben replied to tjan60's response:
Let's see here. I am legally blind. I have handicapped "hang tags" for my cars,and I refer to myself as visually impaired.

I think you are splitting hairs.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mustang37b replied to mrscora01's response:
I agree mrscora, diabetes can be controlled diet and exercise and eating proper, but uncontrollable diabetes can turn into a disability

wendy5555 replied to bubbadave's response:
i've never been here before and this is a little off the track of what you are talking about but i have never heard of another person that drops like this but me. my lowest drop was 52 & i'm very glad my daughter was here to help! complications of diabetes keep me from actually knowing that i've dropped-like dizziness and other signs that are supposed to be watched for low sugars. i've been type 2 since 1993. thanks to you or i would have thought i was all alone with this "dropping." i think that the complications of diabetes can keep you from working some jobs outside the home & this could be considered a disability. in California to be disababled you have to be unable to live & function with daily life & working is part of that.

bigheelfan021 replied to hootyowl2's response:
Thank you friend and God bless you...

bigheelfan021 replied to tjan60's response:
Great inspiration and thanks.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.