Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SPIKING
JohnCMech posted:
I start the day in morning with good readings 100-150 range but after a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, my sugar spikes to over 300 by lunch.
I take Humalog (50 units to try to control this) but does not work right away if at all. It is like this all day.
It seems regardless what I eat, it goes crazy. Any thoughts?

JohnCMech responded:
I want to add a couple of more things to my post above.
1) been type 2 for 32 years
2) recently got over a bacterial infection of my leg (which laid me up in hosp.) and sinus and was taking anti-biotic for both.
3) In June, I was told my A1C was 7.3
4) I have reduced my carb intake and use sugar free products when I can.
5) I changed glucose test meters to question the accuracy of the meter..
6) My test strips are ok.with in range.
7) I walk every night.
I east fruit often including blueberry's.

davedsel57 replied to JohnCMech's response:
The best advice anyone here can give you is to discuss all this with your doctor.

In the meantime, you can try changing your diet to reduce or eliminate the cheerios and fruit. Many people with diabetes can not eat these foods without spiking their blood glucose readings. You also can try adding more protein when you eat the carbs such as fruit or cereal. A diabetic really should never have just carbs as far as I understand.

Our bodies change overtime and what may have worked for years now might need adjusting.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

thistledown1973 replied to JohnCMech's response:
Blueberries are good; in fact when I was a graduate student in Human Nutrition I was working with a group studying the blueberry's ability to increase insulin senitivity.

Cheerios are refined carbohydrates. Have you tried something like an egg-white omelet with onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms? You could still eat the blueberries on the side. Cheerios, fruit, and milk together make for too many carbs and not enough buffering protein.

hootyowl2 replied to JohnCMech's response:
You do not have enough protien with your meal. You need something like an egg, or peanutbutter with your breakfast. Your sugar probably is ALSO going too low before the spike, and causing the spike. You could also have a piece of meat such as turkey bacon or something instead of the egg or peanutbutter. What do you like for your protien ?

I cannot have just cereal for breakfast without doing the same thing. I have to have an egg, toast, and milk with my breakfast. Sometimes I have fruit or cereal also, but not always.

Hooty

auriga1 responded:
John, you should talk with your doctor about this. Don't wait too much longer.

You say this is all recent. It could be the stress from the infection and the medicine that's throwing things out of whack.

Hold off on the cereal for awhile. I take Humalog every time I eat, too. I also take Lantus to keep my BS levels stable. Cannot eat a carb without spiking. The two insulins have kept my BS stable for five some years now. A little rough in the beginning as my A1C was 13.2 and I had to drastically change things around. I actually had to think of what was going into my body when I never had a care in the world.

That's a lot of Humalog. Just in IMO. Are you a type 1 or 2? Anyway, regardless, your doctor should know what's going on. Don't wait on this one.

JohnCMech replied to auriga1's response:
Just check my sugar and the numbers pre-lunch was 445. I called my Dr.
I had pre-breakfast number of 198, ate cereal and hard roll, coffee.
Dr. called back and said my A1C was 7.6 so now i am wondering if my meter is wrong. When I fasted for the work, the blood was 116. Go figure!!!

davedsel57 replied to JohnCMech's response:
Did your doctor give you any instructions other than telling you what your A1C was? Fasting blood readings and A1C do not always correlate. Perhaps it is time to get a new meter.

It is obvious that you need to make some lifestyle changes and possible change or increase medication. Have you seen a nutritionist, dietician or Certified Diabetic Educator? You need to be more proactive in controlling your Diabetes.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

flutetooter replied to JohnCMech's response:
Do you understand what the disease diabetes is all about? Our bodies for several reasons do not process carbohydrates correctly. Some of us do not produce enough insulin (or no insulin at all) to cause the carbohydrates we eat to enter our body cells. Therefore all the sugar in our blood stream from eating just messes up all our organs and nerves and brain. Or maybe our cells are insulin resistant, which also causes a lot of sugar to remain in our blood stream with the same results.

Most of us limit the number of grams of carbohydrate we take in so that we eat only what our own bodies PLUS our meds can handle. What directions has your doctor given you about what to eat? A breakfast of cereal plus hard roll, plus coffee contains mostly carbohydrates and would send the blod sugar spiking for most of us. 445 is Way too high and can cause immediate damage to your body.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.