Skip to content
Uncontrolled Diabetes and delusional
An_246766 posted:
My 54 year old brother has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and will not take medication for it. He will not go back to the doctor either. He resides with my 85 year old mother and gets extremely aggitated and angry with her. He yells at her every day and recently has started demanding that she give him his inheritance now before she dies. He thinks she has millions of dollars and won't give it to him. He also thinks he has a girlfriend that is 16 years old. He drives around every day trying to find her and thinks the mob has kidnapped her. He believes that most of the people in our hometown are evil people and he wants mom's money to escape. Now he thinks that his family doctor is involved with the mob so he refuses to go back to see him. I am afraid he will hurt someone or get in trouble but I don't know what to do. Are delusions such as these a part of uncontrolled diabetes or does it sound like there is something else wrong? My mother would never forgive me if I were to call the police about all this but his behavior is escalating. Any ideas?

DavidHueben responded:
Yor brother is in serious need of psychiatric care. Although diabetes can cause some personality or mood changes, this is way over the top.

Get help for him ASAP, before he does something really bad.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
I agree 100% with the advice David has given you. There is much more going on than just uncontrolled diabetes. He needs help ASAP.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Phototaker123 responded:
It's important that you get your brother to a psychiatrist.
He sounds like he has schizophrenia with the delusions he's having. I'm not a doctor or therapist, but it's definitely not normal behavior. He needs to probably be on some medicine. No one hear can diagnose something like this from a posting.

My mom used to act more agitated or lose her temper when she had higher numbers, but this seems to be something else.

Good luck! I hope you can get him there to be evaluated. They often don't think they're sick or need help. It's hard to get some people to take the medicine, too.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon and welcome -

You've gotten some good advice here - please do make a phone call immediately to the family doctor and get some guidance. A call to 911 is NOT unreasonable and emergency teams are very skilled at dealing with these sorts of issues.

I understand that you don't want to upset your mother but his escalating behavior could lead to something criminal or worse.

Please let us know what happens!

Haylen

dustnbones99 responded:
I agree with what everyone else has said. I've had very low blood sugar, below 30, and very high, over 400, but i've never suffered from delusions. Something else is wrong.

1120Betsy replied to DavidHueben's response:
I wanted to update everyone on the situation with my brother. He seems to have calmed down quite a bit since last week. My mom thinks he calmed down after he vented to me about his delusions. After reading all of the posts it really did help me to know that being delusional wasn't a typical uncontrolled diabetes symptom. I really do believe that my brother has some form of mental illness too. I don't live in the same city as my brother so I am having my sister and other family members keep an eye on him. My sister has the same family doctor as my brother so when she goes to her next appt. she is going to ask their family doctor how best to handle the situation. I tried to get him to let me check his blood sugar level yesterday but I am more concerned about his mental problems now than the diabetes. I think that whatever is going on there has been going on for a long time but I wasn't aware of how extreme that his symptoms had become. It makes me so sad that the world that he lives in so scary and my sister and I are going to do our best to get him help very soon before he hurts himself or anyone else.

brunosbud replied to 1120Betsy's response:
"...Are delusions such as these a part of uncontrolled diabetes or does it sound like there is something else wrong..?"

Delusions, I don't know, but irritability, anxiety, mood swings, rage, depression are common complaints by diabetics who've allowed their blood sugar to go unchecked, high or low. In fact, I'd be more surprised they were not related than vice-versa.

But, regardless what you or I assume, be assured that no trained health professional would knowingly allow uncontrolled diabetes to go untreated for any significant length of time...
blood sugar just flat-out affects/controls too many things. Best your brother gets help, soon.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.