Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to Get Diagnosed
k_ann posted:
I have had a hunch for awhile that I have Type 2 Diabetes. It was about a year ago that I went to have my anual exam, and found out what I thought was normal was actually a yeast infection. After some research I found out that a common cause of yeast infections is diabetes. Then I realized that these cuts on my legs have been with me for about a year. Asked the doctor about it, but my blood work was normal.

Went through some problems with my heart, and when I started taking some magnessium things started to get a little better. My scraps started to heal, but they still have not completely healed. Magnessium helps turn insulin into energy.

After having doctors blow off the fact that it could be diabetes I am struggling how to get a proper diagnosis. I am not overweight, eat healthy (gluten and sugar free), and am active. Needless to say I don't fit the typical Type 2 category.

Just bought a blood glucose meter. Have good days below 100 and other days above 120. What are some suggestions to get the medical attention that I might need. Hoping that the meter will give me a leg to stand on when I see the doctor at my next visit.

DavidHueben responded:
First, I don't believe insulin is converted to energy. Insulin facilitates the uptake of blood glucose into the cells.

Second, the diagnostic standards for Type II diabetes are two fasting glucose tests (done by a lab) that are greater than 126. Done on separate days. The A1C test can also be used. The diagnostic standard is varies, but is generally greater than 6.5%.

Home tests are helpful, but not diagnostic.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Debsbears responded:
I have a few ?'s to ask. Why would you want to be diagnosed with Diabetes? Does diabetes run in your family?

There could be a number of reasons why people don't heal. People might need Magnesium for different reasons as well.

I never got yeast infections before until recently but mine is not caused by diabetes but because my kidneys do not filter my fluid proper. No Dr. ever blamed my UTI's on diabetes.There are a number of reasons why people get UTI's.

Home tests can help you know what your sugars are but it isn't a diagnostic tool. For a proper diagnosis you need to have lab tests done especially the A1C and at least 2 random fasting blood glucose 126 or more.

Please do not wish your Dr tells you that you are diabetic.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

k_ann replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you for your responses. Really appreciate them.

If I do have diabetes I would rather be able to manage it and be healthy instead of letting it get out of control like my uncle. My family has a history of avoiding health issues, and I will not do that for myself. So yes there is a history of diabetes in my family.

I am taking magnesium to help my arrhythmia. I have done so much research on magnesium, and have found that it can help control diabetes.

After seeing how much it helped me I started to eliminate sugar out of my diet. Saw the improvement from that as well. With both of these I can still see my blood glucose spiking at times. I have had readings in the 120 to 150 range at times. I also have readings down to 80 and 90 at times. Is that normal to have normal and high within the same day?

Fully aware that home tests are not diagnostic. I am just trying to get a better feel for what is going on so I can get something figured out with my doctor. I have only had the fasting blood test, but that only gives your glucose at that moment in time. I think I am going to need the A1C test to determine what my level has been over 2 to 3 months. Just frustrating, because I know something isn't right and it needs to get under control.

DavidHueben replied to k_ann's response:
You don't mention at what times you are testing your glucose (except fasting). In addition to testing fasting glucose, you should also test TWO hours after the conclusion of a meal.

It would be perfect normal to have a FBG in the 80 -90 range and be in the 140 range two hours after a meal.

The A1C test actually measures the percentage of hemoglobin molecules that have become glycated (glucose attached) in the 2 - 3 month period. From that percentage, the average blood glucose can be approximated.

Your numbers appear normal to me. Are you searching for a problem that does not exist?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Debsbears replied to k_ann's response:
K-ann I am in agreement with David. Your readings are normal but the question remains when are you testing?

If you are suspecting you have diabetes why are you "waiting" for a diagnosis to do something about it? Change now. You said diabetes runs in your family - that tells me you also know how to control it, you have seen what diabetes can do.

Why wait - quit worrying about a diabetes diagnosis and get on with your life. nobody needs a diabetes diagnosis to live their life. Just continue to watch what you eat, exercise and drink plenty of water, what you are doing seems to be working just stick to it.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

mhall6252 responded:
K_ann - you've received great advice. You're doing all the right things, according to what you've told us. Just keep it up and you'll know you've done everything you can to prevent diabetes. A healthy lifestyle is a good thing, regardless of any diagnosis.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

auriga1 replied to k_ann's response:
k_ann, it's not just sugar you need to watch if you are concerned about diabetes. It is the carbohydrate intake that diabetics need to be concerned about. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Carbohydrates are converted into glucose once ingested and broken down by the digestive system.

Nearly everything we eat except for fats and proteins contain carbs. With diabetes, you need to watch WHAT you eat and HOW MUCH you eat. Portion control is a good thing. Look at nutrition labels when purchasing foods. The line you need to look at is TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES. If there is sugar in the food, that number is included in the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line.

If you are worried, take care of it. Get the tests done.

Anon_999 responded:
Hi I don't post much but read alot here. Just wondering what is happening? Did you get your tests done? How did it turn out.

It seems like many have given you great advice in helping you to avoid Diabetes. But then it does run in your family which gives you greater chances of getting it. I hope you continue to eat right by watching what you eat..

Phototaker123 responded:
I agree with most everyone else, but what I do when I'm worried or concerned about something is have the test taken. I also have diabetes in my family. My blood sugar levels change from 90 and can go very high if I'm not careful about what I eat. I started off not taking any medicine for my diabetes and was pretty strict. I had an A1C of around 5.8-6.1 at those times. Now, it's up to 6.7. I would get an A1C test taken at the doctors. That should give you an idea of what your diabetes average is...It won't tell you if you go into the 200 range, so if you find yourself eating a high amount of carbs at one time, definitely check two hours afterward to see how high you're going. Mine will go into the 200 range if I'm not careful, even with my low dose of Metformin.

I agree that you should eat like you're a diabetic, just in case.
It certainly will keep you healthier. For me, I didn't get diabetes until I was around 60. I held it off for a long time, until I was stressed and ate unhealthy for a year. I was teaching and had a really hard class that year. I stress ate.

I also have arrhythmia and take medicine. I've thought about taking Potassium. Did your heart doctor recommend that for your condition? Always check with your doctor when taking supplements. Mine makes me take "all" my medicines, aspirin, vitamins, and others when I see him.

You have a right to ask for an A1C. Insist on it, especially if you're seeing any numbers over 150, two hours after you ate.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.