Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Foot Soaking for Diabetics
martianmarvin53 posted:
Are there any products on the market for diabetics to use to soak their feet?

I've read articles that say to use Epsom Salts...other articles say to steer clear of ES as it dries the skin. Johnson's Foot Soap says it is not for diabetics. Most articles say to soak your feet to soften the nails so that one can trim them.

NWSmom4g responded:
The simplest thing is, just take a bath! That should help...

hootyowl2 responded:
I like to soak my feet now and then, and putting some minty mouthwash and bathsalts in the water makes it lovely...

I have not taken a 'bath' in over 12 years... I much prefer showers.

J&J is just covering their a** in case something bad happens while you use their product.

Some products that I like for my feet: Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Body Butter, Max Block After Sun Lotion, any kind of body butter, foot scrubs with peppermint in them, any good rich lotion. Mouthwash kills lots of germs, and it feels really good in a foot soak.

I can barely reach my feet to do my nails any more, too much arthritis in my hips and knees and back. I may have to give in and start on a podatrist, but they do not do nails the way I like mine-- short, to the quick. I cannot stand having my nails long. I would have to re do anything a foot doc does, so it is not worth the bother or expense.

Hooty

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to hootyowl2's response:
I've not heard about mouthwash in a foot soak! Thanks for sharing Hooty.

In case anyone clicks in looking for more information, here are a few WebMD resources:

Diabetes Foot Care

Diabetes: 5 steps to total body care

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.