Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cholesterol meds for diabetics
srphunt posted:
I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes this month. My Dr. put me on Metformin HCL and that, along with a dietary change, has brought my glucose count back to normal. Now my Dr. has proscribed Atorvastatin for cholesterol and Lisinopril for high blood pressure. My cholesterol count is normal as is my blood pressure. Are these new drugs commonly proscribed for diabetics?

mhall6252 responded:
Srphunt,

Sorry you have the diagnosis, but welcome to this board. Lots of great ideas and help here!

Yes, it is quite normal for your doctor to prescribe a statin and a bp med. Diabetics typically have lower cholesterol goals than the "general" population, and the bp med is to help protect your kidneys. Your doctor is giving you good "standard of care."

Be sure to talk to your doctor about your glucose, cholesterol and bp targets. It will help you to understand all the "why's" for these meds.

Come back with any questions, and let us know how you are doing.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

NWSmom4g responded:
Lisinopril not only is given to treat high blood pressure, it it used to help prevent kidney damage in diabetics. That's probably why doc prescribed it for you.

Nancy

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.