Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
One Trick Pony
flutetooter posted:
Everybody probably has their own "best" method of dealing with diabetes. The one best trick for this pony (me) is to constantly cut back on total carbs for the day and for each meal whenever my fasting sugar seems to rise. Whether it is caused by eating the wrong things (for me), or because of illness or inactivity, or other meds, or injuries involving prednisone shots, I immediately cut my carbs to only the healthiest and only the amount that my remaining beta cells in the pancreas can still produce enought insulin to handle.

I noticed that I was eating a "too big" snack when returning from swimming class at 7 P.M., so I cut back to only a snack of protein and a low carb and a little peanut butter. Then my fasting sugar the next morning was 85, and half an hour after a light dinner tonight (when for me it would be highest) it was only 104 and I felt full of energy and not hungry. My body seems to thrive on regular activity and only enough food to cover energy needs and repair. It also helps to keep stress lower. HA! Not usually possible!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
Hi Flute I do the same here.

Because I do have the "Dawn Phenomenon" I have to eat at 9pm. I found a different snack that works for "me" Nature Valley 100% Natural Crunchy granola bars and I dab on a little peanut butter on it, my sugars in the AM have been 78-84 verses without this snack it was running at the 100 mark. We have to do what works for us.

I do know many do not eat at night but if they have "Dawn Phenomenon" they should eat little carbs with equal or more protein before going to bed. Recommended to me by my dietitian and Dr. it works for me.

I am so thankful I out grew my allergy to peanut butter it is a great source of protein for me. I still can not do tree nuts but that is okay for me.

Keep up the good work you are doing. Your doing great.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.