Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
why am I still hungry?
cnadygirl53 posted:
since being told that I was a type two diabetic, I am always hungry I eat small meals seven to eat times a day. this weekend we went out to eat to three different type of dinning places, my daughter's birthday was on one of thoses days. Yet afterwards I would come home and a few hours later be hungry again and eat like crazy. I keep saying I will cut back but I eat more than a pregnant woman I just don't get it. Why is it that diabetics eat like this does it mean something, or does it have anything to do with my blood sugar?

Phototaker123 responded:
I found when I was more hungry that my blood sugar levels were up. Check your blood sugar levels when you are feeling this way.

Hungry for me could be stress...that makes me hungry....
It could be feeling sad about something...food soothes me...
It could be you are drinking a lot of diet drinks which have the sugarless component in it like Aspartame, etc. That makes you hungry, too.

For me, I try to be aware of "why" I'm feeling hungry.

Are you including some carbs in your meals to go along with the protein? That might help. Talk to your doctor/dietician about how many carbs you should eat for a meal.

Also, when I was heavily working out, I seemed to be a lot more hungry than now.

These are just some ideas I'm throwing out.

I'll never forget when my doctor told me that taking the Metformin, I'll be losing weight. I did no such thing. I tried and tried and couldn't lose weight. I think other people have intestinal problems with it and lose weight, "or" it brings down their bs numbers and they're not craving things.

Are you eating anything that might be setting off your bs numbers to go up?

DavidHueben responded:
Candy:

Diabetics don't eat like this...uncontrolled overeating. It takes self-discipline. Perhaps you would benefit from counseling to understand your eating habits.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
Are you testing your glucose before "eating like crazy"? Are you eating too many carbs at a meal, thus triggering an insulin release followed by a low?

Most diabetics don't eat as you've described. You should work with a dietitian to determine your caloric needs and how to structure your meals and snacks to keep you on an even keel. Usually, your insurance company will cover most, if not all, of the cost.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Debsbears responded:
I am type 2 and I don't eat like that.

I have 3 small meals and 2 small snacks.

Are you eating enough fiber and protein with your meals/carbs?

Not eating the right balance of foods I would think can cause one to over eat. Please get in to see a dietitian so you can get the proper food plan for your needs.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.
Come follow my life's journey at:
www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
I suspect you are eating "appetite stimulating foods" at most meals. Starchy foods and foods with added sugars stimulate appetite and hunger. With my patients I recommend an eating strategy that focuses on lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and low-fat dairy.

CCoombs responded:
While on Metformin, I also changed my diet and lost 10 lbs. in a month! My first time taking Metformin, I did not change my diet as drastically, and did not lose anything.

I went from a 6.6 to a 5.8 in four months, after quitting the Metformin after two months because it made me sick. With the diet changes, the metformin lowered my sugar too much.

I have found that when I am eating according to my dietician's directions, I am hungry every two hours. I don't eat very much each time, though. Have you paid attention to the amounts that you eat? You may be eating 8 meals a day, but if they are all small, your total consumption may not be as high as you think. If you are over-controlling your sugar, it could be low, and that is the cause of the hunger.

laugu responded:
I think it may be due to too much insulin. Are you on insulin or an oral medication? After having a baby a year ago, I was ravenous because my insulin needs had gone up and then they lowered after having the baby. However, I didn't lower the basal amount as I should have, therefore, I was hungry constantly. Insulin drives hunger. You should see if your insulin basal and bolus rates are appropriate if you're on insulin. If not, I would talk to your doctor about the dose of your oral medication. Once the amount of insulin was down in my body, my hungry became far more manageable. That, and I changed my way of eating so that I eat little to no sugar and no refined carbs.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.