Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Formerly A1C 9.5. I believe I have cured myself of type II diabetes with proper diet and exercise. I will tell you how I did it.
jimbobway posted:
When I was diagnosed with diabetes my glucose levels were initially at 200. My A1C was 9.5. My "cure" was in phases which were outlined below. Some of the phases did not work. But, the last phase, which I started two weeks ago, works.

Phase 1) Diet and exercise. By reducing my carbs and running 2-3 times a week I was able to drop my glucose levels to 150. This went on for about 6 months - 1 year. I was still eating rice, brown rice, and simple carbs but I stopped eating sugar (candy) and drinking soda. My weight was about 189. This phase was about 6 months. However, Phase 1 was not enough to help my blood sugar.

Phase 2) I went to the doctor and he prescribed me metformin. With diet, exercise and metformin, my glucose levels were from 95 to 120. However, the metformin made me feel miserable. I had stomach and headache issue with metformin (and also the slow release kinds too). However I stuck with it and my A1C became 6.5. I loss some weight here so I am now about 170 lbs. Phase two seemed to work but the drugs made me feel like crap. I did this for about a year.

Phase 3) I decided to attempt to stop taking the medication and eat mostly salads and make it mostly low carb. My blood sugars when I did this ranged from 115 - 150. However, the salads where not tasty and I was always hungry. I know that my blood sugars needed to be lower. This phase lasted about a year. Weight still at 165-170.

Phase 4) My bro started to eat organic foods. (No preservatives, pesticides, or chemicals.) He ate whole wheat pasta, mangoes, bananas, organic tomatoes etc. He was able to lower his sugar levels. So I decided to do the same thing. After I started eating whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, lean turkey, mangoes, triscuits, organic tomatoes, organic almonds, bananas, organic turkey, organic tomato sauce, organic eggs, organic whole wheat cereal, etc. my blood sugar levels dropped to 100-116 without drugs! This is after eating 3 servings of whole wheat pasta in 2 days. I stuffed myself with pasta! I was very surprised because I thought it was a lotta carb, but I guess it was good carb. I did this without the use of drugs. Weight still at 165-170. This is my favorite diet and phase because the food I eat is still good and I don't have to resort to salads or drugs. I will be continuing this organic diet and see where it goes. I bascially buy my foods at Trader Joes, Sprouts, or Henrys which make it really easy to buy organic food. Just look at the label.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Congratulations on your success so far.

I'm sure you realize there is no cure for Diabetes. What you have done is to successfully reverse the disease or go into remission. Also, while this has worked for the past two weeks you will need to continue testing and see what your long-range results will be. I'd be interested to see an update in 6 months.

Also realize what works for one person may not work for someone else.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

mhall6252 responded:
Great job finding the program that works for you and has brought you to diabetes reversal! Keep up the good work, and check back in to let us know how you're doing.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Phototaker123 responded:
Your journey has been very interesting! Great Job!

I found for me, what worked for me for a while was super, too, but then I got tired of eating almonds and 1/2 an apple for dessert and some of the other things I was eating.

So...be aware that this "might" happen with you, and try to vary things a little more that you also don't tire of the same foods.

I'm back to being stricter again, and doing better, also.

Let us know what your A1C number is doing this regime! I'll be curious about that. I'm also curious to know if you've been testing your bs numbers two hours after eating the pasta, and what you've been getting. Were the numbers you posted your morning fasting numbers? Do you test during the day? It sounds like a really good eating plan for you! Keep up the good work.

jimbobway replied to Phototaker123's response:
Ok, I will keep you guys up to date on my progress. At my local Target they also sell organic foods which is a little cheaper than the grocery stores, I think.

hootyowl2 responded:
I think "cured" is the wrong word. Your current program seems to be controlling your blood sugars, that is not the same thing as "cured". Diabetes is for life, you must take care of it the rest of your life, or it will again get out of control and cause you trouble. Just because it is "controlled" does not mean you are "cured", nor does it mean you will never have complications from the diabetes.

A friend of mine tried to tell everyone he was "cured" of his diabetes because he had his sugars under control with diet and exercise. He bragged about it considerably. Then he had a major heart attack with more than 50% heart damage. He will not survive another heart attack. He also has a phobia of taking insulin for some reason, but he would do much better to be on insulin. Diabetes damages your organs, including your heart. Oh yeah, he is back on diabetes meds, not sure which. His sugars had gone back up without his noticing it.

I hope you keep up the good work, just remember you must do this for life, not just a little while. Diabetes is a progressive disease, and at some point you may have to go back to your meds. That is just how diabetes is.

Hooty

brunosbud responded:
Great post!

Although I may not agree entirely with your conclusions, I think many people can benefit from your "Process of Elimination" approach, Jimbobway.

In a time when bail-outs, entitlements and social safety nets is the goal, the saying, "We get what we deserve", has never had more relevance.

This is most certainly true with diabetes. Fair or not, people with the best health outcomes are self taught and, when the pressure's on, want the ball in their hands. Who could possibly care more?

And, those who rely, entirely, on others to manage their health?

Get, exactly, what they deserve.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Thank you for sharing your story. Weight loss, persistance, and a careful eating stragegy can often get the blood sugar to normal without medications. Congratulations! I hope you can keep with it for many years to come.

ejazz1 responded:
Congratulations on your success in getting your diabetes under control, as others have stated there is no cure for diabetes but it can be controlled. I was diagnosed with type II in 2004 with a A1c of 10.5 and a fasting blood sugar level of 257. I chose to use the dash diet, which is a low sodium, low fat, low sugar, high fiber diet. Very like what you have done in your phase four. I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, including whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta, small amounts of lean meats and seafood, fat free milk and greek yogurt. I lost 150 lbs in a year and a half and have maintained the weight loss. My A1c for the last 8 years has been 4.2, fasting levels in the 70's, my blood sugar levels 2 hours after eating are between 85 to 105. I don't eat anything made from refined white flour, white rice or any product with a large amount of added sugar. As someone else has already stated this diet may not work for everyone and continuing to check your levels is the best way monitor your progress.

dubthebeachcomber replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
After running out of insulin approx 10 days ago, I have measured religiously and only had one low sugar experience and no high sugar problems. Except for the one time, range has been 100-130 which wasn't that good and steady when I had the insulin and was taking it daily. Not sure why, but I'm good with it. However, if we don't get more doctors here in Central California Coast area who accept medicare, many old ones will die. Most docs simply turn up their noses. I was told at the Domenican Hospital ER in Santa Cruz after being refused help, " most medicare people go to the county health dept." in a most derisive tone. How is that for a doctor speaking at a supposedly charitable hospital. When he said "medicare people" his facial expression may as well have said garbage. Medicare is INSURANCE, not welfare. Don't treat us like pariahs.

Buds50 responded:
Good to hear. I have been a diabetic for about 5 years now. I was anywhere from 110 to 160. Never over 118 in the am. but after I ate around 160. I don't exercize I sit a desk all day and then couch potatoe at home. I have some other issues as well. I went to the doctor and they also put me on Metformin and a high blood pressure pill even tho I didn't have high blood pressure. I weighed about 192 pounds then. I have never weighed that much even when I was full term pregnant. I just could not loose weight. My b/s came down with the Metformin and it doesn't make me fell bad so that is good. I have to watch because the blood pressure medication makes me tired and sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out. I will try the whole grains. I already eat some of them. I did find a healthy diet and lost 35 pounds. I stopped it for about 3 months and gained about 10 pounds back . Good Luck and I am happy to know you can do it without drugs. Now if I could get my Cholestral and Tryglycerides down. I am a mess. LOL

Buds50 replied to Buds50's response:
Oh I wanted to say that my A1C has never been over 7.2 That makes me happy and it is under that now I think the last time I had it checked it was 6.3 or something like that. Anyway Keep a check on it.

God Bless

Buds50 replied to ejazz1's response:
Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you even tho I don't know you....That is hard to do. Hats off my friend. Keep up the good work....We can all learn from each other. I wish I would have an A1c of 4.2. I would celebrate with a glass of Merlot....LOL

Moodyj35 responded:
I was told that I had diabetes 12/2012 my A1C was 8.3 thaen tested 3/2012 it was 6.8. I was tested 8/2012 and my A1C was 5.8 . I started a hold life change, lost 60 pounds and loving it.

sabrina331 responded:
I was diagnosed with Type II in January of 2009, my A1C high was 7.2 nd my sugars ran on average 150-175. I weighed in at that time 289 lbs. I wasn't really motivated to make any serious changes until June of last year, when my Endocrinologist informed me that not only was he going to increase the dosage on my Metformin, but he was also putting me on Enalipril for my blood pressure and adding cholesterol medication to my protocol as well. Quite frankly, it scared the hell out of me and so I went on a massive lifestyle change and overhauled everything. I cut out enriched flour products and increased my green vegetable intake, switched to skim milk and cut my carb intake drastically. I also joined a gym and make sure I go regularly 3-4 times per week and try to get some form or activity in on the days I am not able to attend. I have lost 145 lbs since last year and my sugars now run 70-85 and even 2 hours after eating, the highest my sugar has been is 100. My A1C is now a healthy 5.3 at my last check up and I am no longer taking any mediction.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.